Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2017, 02:01 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Withdrawing from your rrsp is considered income which is added to your line 150.

Contributions mean nothing. There may be an argument that a company supplied rrsp contribution should be considered income as its a benefit. Not sure if its been argued though.

Bottom line, your rrsp is considered income if you take anything out.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:37 PM

Desperate_Dad is on a distinguished road

What you have to understand here is that you are dealing with brain dead people (lawyers and judges) who know nothing about financial information.

This was an issue in my case that actually went to trial. I didn't want to take out RRSP's but as many people know, sometimes you have to do it because finances are tight. There are precedents for it being included and excluded. But all that means is that the lawyers and judges who want it included are wrong.

Essentially including RRSP's as income is a form of double dipping. It has already been split at separation.

I had to go to trial as a self represented litigant on this issue. I articulated everything clearly and the Judge ruled in my favour. She was represented I was not. It doesn't matter how many times you withdraw RRSP's, it is always not included in child/spousal support calculations.

I mean its logical it isn't included but lawyers are immensely stupid and love stirring up trouble to soak the public of more fees.

AND - Always remember LINE 150 is not income. It is a starting point before proper adjustments are made.

Regards.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:53 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

good post DD. "line 150" is often misunderstood with regards to determining income for support.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:04 PM

Tandem80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
good post DD. "line 150" is often misunderstood with regards to determining income for support.
Here here! All it took was to read the Federal Guidelines a million times