Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Rao Agnihotri is on a distinguished road
Default Retro payments for spousal support?

Hello Guys,

My marriage was only 1.4 years long and then we separated. I tried to make $300 payment to her but she declined to receive it. Now she is asking for retro payment from the time we splitted for each month in the amount $1200/month. All along the separated time, she was not on welfare and hence supporting herself. She is going to court.

Now my question is can a judge simply decide that I am liable to all the expenses and should pay $1200/month from the time we separated. On what basis can judge make a decision of retro payments and how common it is in our court system? Thanks for your help.....
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Any children involved?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:50 PM

No there is no children involved, but I bring her to Canada on spousal sponsorship.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm, I don't know anything about spousal sponsorship. I think you may need to speak to a lawyer who specializes in that kind of thing. Sorry
Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Spousal is generally not retro except to the the date you request it. If she is just making this claim now it wouldn't usually be retro. There can be exceptions, but she would have to have a reason why she didn't make a claim to you until now.

A judge would not "simply award it". It is never simple and it is a comparison of your arguments and hers.

Rao, did we discuss before the meaning of the sponsership and how that might affect a claim? Did you get any legal advice about that?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 AM

Thank you for the responses. What I know about sponsorship is that it is upto 3 years of support. I did contacted a family lawyer, but my lawyer dont seem much familiar with immigration issues. At one point my lawyer told me that if I don't give spousal support then all it means that I will not be able to sponsor anyone else, other than this there will no issue. I am not sure how true this is.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 AM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

To my knowledge there is very little actual enforcement of sponsership, and I believe your lawyer made a good assessment, it is not the letter of the law, but rather how it is applied.

She may present the 3 year sponsership as a reason in family court for seeking spousal. I can't speak to how that. Your issue really crosses over between two different specialities. Perhaps speaking with an immigration lawyer would be helpful.

Also have you called the Law Society of Upper Canada? They have a referal service and you could get a half hour consultation. In your case it would be very helpful to be able to explain to them your issue, and then they could find you someone familiar with each of these issues.
Closed Thread