Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2016, 02:15 PM

HalifaxGuy is on a distinguished road

You were married so the matrimonial home is split regardless of who or how it was paid. You could of paid for the house 100% and it would still be equalized between the both of you.

The fact that you paid cash for a down payment while he used a first time homebuyer RRSP is irrelevant. You may end up on the short end of the stick, having helped to repay the RRSP, but that's typically what happens to at least one person in a divorce.

The RRSP first time homebuyer plan is not a loan. In my opinion, arguing about that is a rabbit hole and a waste of your time.

Further, any increase in his RRSP during the marriage is also split with you. Therefore, what you invested in his RRSP during the marriage is not a total lost to you. Depending on how it was invested, you could make money off it.

Depending on what province you live, there is the potential for his entire RRSP to be split. Some provinces, like NS, consider assets brought into the marriage to be marital assets. Other provinces, like ON, do not.