Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2016, 11:30 AM

thefunone is on a distinguished road
Default Part time work vs full time

So - Ex has an MBA in International Finance (but no designation CPA etc). She is currently teaching finance subjects between 10-12hrs a week (depending on enrollment) at a local college. Makes about 55K/yr.
If there is an opportunity for her to work full time (36-40hrs/week) and make between 55-65K, would the courts urge that? Or would they feel that since she is making essentially that much now - there is no onus on her to get full time for the same pay?
My concern is that if enrollment drops and she can only work say 8-10 hrs a week then that of course reduces her annual income. Our SS review is set for next year. If I can identify areas/jobs that she could have taken yet felt they were essentially the same pay and just more hours - will the courts view this as a good thing or bad?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:46 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't work for same pay for more hours would you? Sounds like she has a good thing going for her.

Perhaps gather information on what someone with her qualifications would make with full-time employment? Emphasize that she "chooses" to work only part-time?

You must be coming to the end of SS soon no? Didn't you negotiate a 10-year deal?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 AM

Oh I understand why work more hours for the same money - I guess I don't want to be on the hook if her income drops because her hours are cut because of a diminished enrollment - when she has the opportunity to have a regular and secure wage rather than one that fluctuates with the class size/enrollment.

Separated in Fall of 2011. Started paying SS essentially right away. Review date is set....just starting to get as any ducks in a row beforehand.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 PM

Desperate_Dad is on a distinguished road

She has an MBA in International Finance? She should be able to make significantly more than 55K per year.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 AM

Yup...but she really has no reason to seek f/t work seeing the amount of monies i provide....and her excuse is she can't get hired anywhere because she doesn't have a designation
It's been a fun time the last five years...she works 10-12 hrs a week...takes a couple southern vacations a year...buys a new car...but alas can't work.
Sorry - still some sour grapes it seems....LOL...
Old 12-12-2016, 08:07 AM

Thought she had a MBA?
Old 12-12-2016, 08:15 AM

Yep - but getting an MBA from Clemson - does not provide her with a designation. That's something separate
Old 12-12-2016, 08:36 AM

2 kids, home-based business + part-time job earning 55k - she certainly does not come off to me as a slacker. Wish I could work 10-12 hrs/week for 55k.

On the other hand, it sounds as though she is self-sufficient and, combined with CS, should be able to make ends meet. I'd recommend proposing a tapered off SS over next 3 years (or whatever equals .5 of SS for duration of marriage).
Old 12-12-2016, 08:55 AM

Her home based business (mentioned in very early posts by me and not this thread) is defunct according to her. If she has continued - it is without my knowledge. I will give her the benefit of the doubt and say it is completely defunct.
I guess I take a bit of an issue with the word slacker.

I have two kids as well....work full time...hope I get overtime to meet the imputed wage I was assessed and have made my required payments for the past 5 years.

It isn't as though she is a person who was married to right out of high school and has no education or marketable skills. At some point the requirement for self-sufficiency on her end HAS to come into effect. For the past 5 years, I have provided her finances to assist with her multiple trips and purchases and I would suggest it has provided an adequate amount of time for her to transition to become as financially responsible for the children and herself as I have been.
Its a great gig for sure...but until she is told by the courts - she will not do one thing more than she has to...and why would she?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:00 AM

So you put in an application to end SS or taper down to an end date.

Then it is up to her whether or not she feels the need to get a full-time job or a part-time job to supplement her current earnings.

If she only works 10-12 hrs/week she also has ample time to get a "designation" online and out of her home.