Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 AM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Exactly! But he's willing to spend 30k of "their" money to have lawyers interview witnesses etc. From his old posts he indicates that he and his lawyer felt his ex sat back and waited for him to make more money before she pounced on him for SS That doesn't say much for the legal advice he is relying upon right now. Maybe he should spend 300.00 for a consult with a new lawyer. You know - walk before you run?
I don't remember having read the OPs old posts but I found this distasteful:

Quote:
Also, we are using 30 k to legally finance my fight for access to my child and to fight SS. We are willing to spend any amount to see justice served.
But again, if she's willing to blow inheritance money interfering with that way...its not something I would ever do but its their life. To each their own.

As you and Paris first stated, letting a lawyer no that you're willing to spend any amount to fight an "injustice" is a really ill-conceived thing to do. Interviewing tons of witnesses is a really good way to waste a bunch of money fast. The first thing I'd do is find a competent lawyer who has a strategy that isn't designed just to leech a fool and his new wife's money.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 AM

FWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes it is indeed pathetic. Don't think I'd be looking at a guy who wants money from me to fight his ex. Yikes!
I think most men will / should feel the same way too. I mean I personally won't get involved with someone fighting their ex still, even after spending close to 100k with no results in sight......who is to say my money won't be funneled into another account?

The discussion has taken a turn from what the OP initially asked, to a bashing of how him and his new partner intend to spend her money.....we are hardly in a position to judge considering some of the personal stories on here
Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

MiThe bashing here is well justified and a good warning to visitors/lurkers who might have money to blow and delusions of justice.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

So to recap then.

No, your ex cannot get a hold of your new wife's money. The only way this would come into play is if she put in a claim of undue hardship, which means both entire households are examined. It's a hard thing to do.

That said, YOU cannot get a hold of your new wife's money either. It is hers to do with as she wishes, not yours to dictate that it be wasted on your lawyer. The best way to keep your wife's money away from your ex is for your wife to keep it separate from the family funds.

However, as noted before, you have a strong case against your ex's extremely late SS demands. You should not need to waste tens of thousands on your lawyer and witnesses, etc. The more money you spend to fight this, the more likely a judge is going to be convinced that you DO have sufficient disposable income to pay the ex the SS she wants. This whole thing might backfire on you.

Telling lawyers that money is no object just gives most of them visions of nicer cars and vacations. Who would you rather have the money, your wife, or your lawyer?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The best way to keep your wife's money away from your ex is for your wife to keep it separate from the family funds.
I think if the OP was interested in his new wife's best interest, he'd suggest this anyway. Its her money and shouldn't be mingled with marital funds and definitely shouldn't be used to interfere with his divorce.

Quote:
However, as noted before, you have a strong case against your ex's extremely late SS demands. You should not need to waste tens of thousands on your lawyer and witnesses, etc. The more money you spend to fight this, the more likely a judge is going to be convinced that you DO have sufficient disposable income to pay the ex the SS she wants. This whole thing might backfire on you.
I agree that the SS is unlikely to happen. However, I completely understand someone fighting to have fair access to their children. Using a new partners inheritance funds to do it is just distasteful, in my opinion. Two people get married and those same two people should handle their divorce.

As for the witnesses, the OP might want to search through the forum for some of Tayken's input on negative advocates in custody battles.