Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 01:16 PM

rainman is on a distinguished road
Default New Wife Inherits Large Sum

My current wife recently inherited a large sum of money - $135 thousand dollars. Is there any way my ex wife, who is extremely money hungry, can possibly have any entitlement to this? My current wife's income has never been included in any of our past or present negotiations and ex wife has not attempted, to date, to include my wife's income in her claims.

Also, we are using 30 k to legally finance my fight for access to my child and to fight SS. We are willing to spend any amount to see justice served. Is there any way that ex legally can find out that I now have the money to see it through? I don't want her to know that I have given my lawyer the go ahead to do whatever it takes to get the job done, including interviewing dozens and dozens of individuals as potential witnesses.

My understanding is that any monies I give my lawyer are private and ex can in no way find out how much I give my lawyer. Is this correct?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Currently fighting the ex with current wife's money?

Yep your wife can blow through her money any which way she likes.

I'm sure your lawyer will keep the fight alive. Keep in mind that no amount of money will help you if you don't have a case. Lawyers love well-funded clients. Lucky lawyer.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:48 PM

paris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
... I don't want her to know that I have given my lawyer the go ahead to do whatever it takes to get the job done, including interviewing dozens and dozens of individuals as potential witnesses.
Your current wife's inheritance is hers. Your ex can't touch it. It's up to your wife how she wants to "invest" that money.

I bolded the above because I would never-ever-not-in-a-million-years tell my lawyer I had unlimited funds.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:58 PM

FWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I bolded the above because I would never-ever-not-in-a-million-years tell my lawyer I had unlimited funds.
Unless of course they see your financial form. In the OP's case though, the new partner's inheritance should not be brought to any Lawyer's attention. All of a sudden numerous emails, phone calls and drafts will be racked up

As Mr Wonderful (Kevin O'leary) will say..."I love money", and that is exactly what Lawyers say to themselves
Old 01-20-2014, 02:14 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
My current wife recently inherited a large sum of money - $135 thousand dollars. Is there any way my ex wife, who is extremely money hungry, can possibly have any entitlement to this? My current wife's income has never been included in any of our past or present negotiations and ex wife has not attempted, to date, to include my wife's income in her claims.

Also, we are using 30 k to legally finance my fight for access to my child and to fight SS. We are willing to spend any amount to see justice served. Is there any way that ex legally can find out that I now have the money to see it through? I don't want her to know that I have given my lawyer the go ahead to do whatever it takes to get the job done, including interviewing dozens and dozens of individuals as potential witnesses.

My understanding is that any monies I give my lawyer are private and ex can in no way find out how much I give my lawyer. Is this correct?
It's also not yours either. If she keeps it separate you have no entitlement to it...should your marriage end badly...
Old 01-20-2014, 04:50 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Anyone find this pathetic? First that the new wife is willing to use death-benefits money to interfere in someone else's divorce. Second, that someone would use their new spouse this way.

By the way, interviewing dozens of witnesses sounds like an absolute waste of your new wife's money.

I guess there's a sucker born every minute.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Seriously, you realize there are no winners in family law except lawyers and their children. Please don't say things like:

Quote:
We are willing to spend any amount to see justice served.
This is the LEGAL system it isn't a system based on JUSTICE, its based on politicians pandering to constituencies, Special Interest Groups etc....

Just deal with the essentials and DON'T LET your lawyer know you're rich
Old 01-20-2014, 05:28 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
Anyone find this pathetic? First that the new wife is willing to use death-benefits money to interfere in someone else's divorce. Second, that someone would use their new spouse this way.

By the way, interviewing dozens of witnesses sounds like an absolute waste of your new wife's money.

Well personally I would avoid involving the new partner in any old battle. It helped end one relationship of mine when the new partner wanted to wade in.

And while fighting for access isn't a bad thing, this "at all costs" notion is a bit antagnostic for me. I wouldn't spend 10s of thousands to avoid 10 thousand in spousal support. It doesn't cost much to get access, just time and energy. And you are correct, witnesses are pretty much useless, unless they are experts like doctors.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post

Absolutely agree with you PH. Yes it is indeed pathetic. Don't think I'd be looking at a guy who wants money from me to fight his ex. Yikes!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM

ele110 is on a distinguished road

Your lawyer must be drooling!