Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM

cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road
Default Is Moving costs section 7?

My Ex is moving homes. She has asked me to cover my proportionate 82% to her 18% share of the moving expenses after her living there for 4 years. She is proposing that we take the moving costs and devide by 3. Then take 2/3's and I pay 82% of that.

We when first seperated and we moved out of the family home, I covered thier cost of the move to their new home and nobody covered anything for my move. I dont feel that I should be stripped of another $900+ again.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow4ex View Post
My Ex is moving homes. She has asked me to cover my proportionate 82% to her 18% share of the moving expenses after her living there for 4 years. She is proposing that we take the moving costs and devide by 3. Then take 2/3's and I pay 82% of that.

We when first seperated and we moved out of the family home, I covered thier cost of the move to their new home and nobody covered anything for my move. I dont feel that I should be stripped of another $900+ again.
Cashcow4ex: You should win an award for the stuff you deal with.

I highly doubt that "moving" is an "extraordinary" expense. Unless your ex won some court order to move and is moving out of the jurisdiction for medical reasons for your children's sake moving... is something families do and isn't "extraordinary".

This is the first time I have ever heard of moving being an extraordinary expense. Even in the landmark case of mobility the other parent didn't have to pay for the moving parent and they left the country.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Cashcow4ex: You should win an award for the stuff you deal with.

I highly doubt that "moving" is an "extraordinary" expense. Unless your ex won some court order to move and is moving out of the jurisdiction for medical reasons for your children's sake moving... is something families do and isn't "extraordinary".

This is the first time I have ever heard of moving being an extraordinary expense. Even in the landmark case of mobility the other parent didn't have to pay for the moving parent and they left the country.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Thanks Tayken,

Nope she is moving because she wants a bigger home. She is staying in the same area. She feels that because a lot of the items being moved are the kids stuff, that I should cover my proportionate share.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM

torontonian is on a distinguished road

I think that's one for the books - anyone starting a thread on ex's crazy claims?? ;p
Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

No, her choice to move in no way constitutes a s7 expense:

Quote:
In an order for the support of a child, the court may, on the request of either parent or spouse or of an applicant under section 33 of the Act, provide for an amount to cover all or any portion of the following expenses, which expenses may be estimated, taking into account the necessity of the expense in relation to the child’s best interests and the reasonableness of the expense in relation to the means of the parents or spouses and those of the child and to the spending pattern of the parents or spouses in respect of the child during cohabitation:
(a) child care expenses incurred as a result of the custodial parent’s employment, illness, disability or education or training for employment;
(b) that portion of the medical and dental insurance premiums attributable to the child;
(c) health-related expenses that exceed insurance reimbursement by at least $100 annually, including orthodontic treatment, professional counselling provided by a psychologist, social worker, psychiatrist or any other person, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, prescription drugs, hearing aids, glasses and contact lenses;
(d) extraordinary expenses for primary or secondary school education or for any other educational programs that meet the child’s particular needs;
(e) expenses for post-secondary education; and
(f) extraordinary expenses for extracurricular activities. O. Reg. 391/97, s. 7 (1); O. Reg. 446/01, s. 2.
The costs of the move aren't any of the above. She actually has a fair amount of gall to even ask for you to cover her moving expenses.

Tell her no, you don't believe her choice to move AND PAY MOVERS (she could rent a uhaul, or borrow a friends truck) constitutes a s7 expense and as such, will not be contributing to same.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontonian View Post
I think that's one for the books - anyone starting a thread on ex's crazy claims?? ;p
None needed. Every month or two unfortunately cashcow4ex has to deal with something like this.

This is the first time I have ever heard of moving expenses for S.7. Hats off to cashcow4ex. I can't imagine with what dealing with the other parent must be like in your situation.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Hey your talking about the women that asked our mediator if she was eligible for support for the dogs in the amount of $150.00 a month on top of her spousal support and child support.

Got to love it.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey your talking about the women that asked our mediator if she was eligible for support for the dogs in the amount of $150.00 a month on top of her spousal support and child support.

Got to love it.
You poor thing! I could not imagine having to put up with someone like that!

Although, my bf's ex told him that he had to pay half to get the dog neutered, that he bought, but became a family dog he left for the children... there are all types out there and I feel for the people that have to deal with them!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Gary M is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Quote:

Got to love it.

Dude, you have to keep all these gems somewhere and write a book some day

Look on the bright side: You obviously divested yourself of a nutbar - and the after-pain doesn't last forever.

Cheers!

Gary
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 AM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

and hopefully the children will eventually learn that Mommy's crazy and will want to come live with poor suffering dear old Dad when they hit 12.
Closed Thread