Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Coop is on a distinguished road
Red face Movement

I wish my daughter was of university age. I would have her take me to court and try to sue my husband and I to pay for her university education and expenses.

I find it pathetic that there are laws for children of divorced families to be 100% financially supported (whether the parents can afford it or not) yet I was never able to force my parents (though I never would have....there was value in paying my own way) to pay for mine.

Divorce can be traumatic for kids as it is. Fully funding and creating an entitled attitude will further screw these kids up.

I know, I'm venting - but if you had a stepdaughter (21 yrs old) say - "Well if I can take advantage of you and mom having to pay my rent and tuition then I'm going to do it." you would be venting too
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

Court should be a last resort. If you take it to court, it's designed in such a way as NOONE wins.

Ideally the child should be applying for student loans, grants, scholarships, bursaries, etc. The remainder (if any) after THOSE things would be what you split. In that regard the child is no different than any other.

It's not a perfect system, but if the child doesn't qualify for student loans because of the parents incomes...then yes, the parents have to pony up the costs.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM

Coop is on a distinguished road

What I meant was that for children that come from homes where their parents are together (never divorced) - there is no law stating that their education and expenses HAVE to be paid by the parents.

I know of many families where the parents can't afford to fund their kids education. Many of us growing up paid our own way....and did it hurt us or serve us?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM

cbarker78 is on a distinguished road

Exactly!!!

In school, I had to appeal my OSAP denial based on my father's gross income - but he also had 5 kids, and could not pay my tuition. He wrote them a letter saying he wasn't contributing, and I was then approved.

My own views on post secondary is that the kid should pay it, not the patents/family. Sure it's hard but more than possible! While there you could always tell who's mommy & daddy were paying versus those paying their own way....
Closed Thread