Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 PM

abuseddad is on a distinguished road
Default If you don't have money to pay for legal fees

I have took a loan for family, banks and about every source. All maxed out. Legal bill came close to 10k. Can't pay it. Should I ask the lawyer to pay in installments. If I don't pay right away , will the lawyer stop representing?
Thanks
Old 09-26-2016, 09:25 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

you really need to get a handle on your legal bills. Take more control. Ask the lawyer if they will accept a payment plan. They may or they may not represent you due to the outstanding debt.

People run up legal bills by calling their lawyers for nothing or using their lawyer for their therapists. Every time you call or email your lawyer there is a charge for that.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Self-represent and stop whining
Old 10-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Kinso is an unknown quantity at this point

Links, not everyone is as patient/skilled/intelligent/wonderful as you. There are many people who shouldn't self-rep by virtue of emotional or personal limitations.

OP, Standing is right, you need to get ahold of your legal bills. Many lawyers will stop representing you after the debt gets too high.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:45 PM

hopefull is on a distinguished road

However, most people at least have grade 11 or grade 12 maths and English. Anyone that can read, comprehend stuff and not afraid to ask questions, should be self-rep'ing.

Coaching is needed on the decorum in court, but that is just common sense i.e. speak only when spoken to, address the judge as your honour, and keep your attitude in check. All that in place and you are halfway there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinso View Post
Links, not everyone is as patient/skilled/intelligent/wonderful as you. There are many people who shouldn't self-rep by virtue of emotional or personal limitations.

OP, Standing is right, you need to get ahold of your legal bills. Many lawyers will stop representing you after the debt gets too high.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:28 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefull View Post
However, most people at least have grade 11 or grade 12 maths and English. Anyone that can read, comprehend stuff and not afraid to ask questions, should be self-rep'ing.

Coaching is needed on the decorum in court, but that is just common sense i.e. speak only when spoken to, address the judge as your honour, and keep your attitude in check. All that in place and you are halfway there.
not necessarily. A person wanting to self-rep has to have lots of time to go over stuff and if it goes to trial you need to treat it like a full-time job. There are so many little details that if you screw it up, you could screw up your case. You are making it sound like its a cake-walk when it isn't.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

I agree, I am quite wonderful
Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM

hopefull is on a distinguished road

I self rep'd on top of my very demanding full time job where I'm in charge of over 2 dozen people.

Time management is crucial and if you are the time that goes out to drink with your buddies, hang out at Timmies or whatever, then you will have to cut all that out for what is more important to you.

I am not the first person to self rep and actually get everything I was asking for e.g. 50-50, no SS payment, step-parent CS argument, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
not necessarily. A person wanting to self-rep has to have lots of time to go over stuff and if it goes to trial you need to treat it like a full-time job. There are so many little details that if you screw it up, you could screw up your case. You are making it sound like its a cake-walk when it isn't.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:11 PM

HalifaxGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefull View Post
All good skills to have, but more is required. Some people are terrified of public speaking. Some people get stressed out easily. Some people are not very good at acting off the cuff. Some people are not good communicators (verbal or written). If one fits into these categories, then self-representing may not be a wise choice.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:41 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

The OP has a username of "abuseddad". His posts have a consistent tinge of victimhood and hopelessness. He is unlikely to self-represent successfully. He is overwhelmed even as a represented litigant.