Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165
kingstonmomof2 is on a distinguished road
Default How to Enforce SA

My ex and I agreed on and signed a SA in Dec of 2015.

No Child Support but we DID agree on how expenses for the kids will be paid.

Hockey
Health Insurance Premiums
Cell phones
College etc.

How do I have things like this enforced? (after, of course, requests and reminders)

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2016, 02:31 PM
blinkandimgone's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 5,227
blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about
Default

This link gives a very good explanation on special & extraordinary expenses:

My Ex Spouse Is Not Paying Our Children?s Expenses, What Do I Do? | John P. Schuman C.S., Child and Family Law | John P. Schuman
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165
kingstonmomof2 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thank You Blink!!
I will check it out
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165
kingstonmomof2 is on a distinguished road
Default

The family court office where I live are telling me that unless I have traditional CS involved with my SA or court order, FRO will NOT enforce or collect any money for me but I read this on the site that you sent me Blink.

"Second, some orders and agreements specify a specific dollar amount that the child support paying parent must pay every month toward special and extraordinary expenses. Other agreements state what percentage of the expense each parent will pay. If you are worried about the other parent paying his or her share of special and extraordinary expenses, then you really want to have a specific dollar amount set in the agreement or order, even if it may occasionally be too low an amount. This is because the Family Responsibility Office (FRO), will collect the other parent’s contribution to special and extraordinary expenses - but only if there is a specific dollar amount set out in the agreement or order."

We agreed on and included very specific dollar amounts in our SA. I wish I could call FRO to talk to someone but I have yet to find a # that doesn't require a Case #
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Tayken's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,563
Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstonmomof2 View Post
My ex and I agreed on and signed a SA in Dec of 2015.

No Child Support but we DID agree on how expenses for the kids will be paid.

Hockey
Health Insurance Premiums
Cell phones
College etc.

How do I have things like this enforced? (after, of course, requests and reminders)

Thanks!!!
1. Hockey is not a special nor is it an extraordinary expense. The only exception would be if you have a Midget or Major Midget player who is on a AAA team and is actually being actively scouted.

2. Health insurance premiums are usually co-paid by employers. Do you not have extended health coverage with your employer? Does the other parent not have extended health coverage either? This is something you could get covered but, the cost to bring the matter to court would far outweigh the monthly cost. Lawyers cost between 365-850 an hour. Going to motion takes about 18 hours of work generally. You do the math if it is worth taking to court.

3. Cell phones are NOT special nor are they extraordinary. They are a modern convenience and not needed. They would not qualify for any consideration.

4. Are the children attending post secondary school or training currently? If yes, you can get the other parent's obligations to pay roughly 1/3 the costs enforced. But, the child will have to possibly pay 1/3 and you will have to pay 1/3. (Depending on the income differences between parents etc...)

Your agreement is not enforceable by FRO. Stop calling them and wasting their time. Clearly you did not have any legal advice when writing up your agreement.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165
kingstonmomof2 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
1. Hockey is not a special nor is it an extraordinary expense. The only exception would be if you have a Midget or Major Midget player who is on a AAA team and is actually being actively scouted.

2. Health insurance premiums are usually co-paid by employers. Do you not have extended health coverage with your employer? Does the other parent not have extended health coverage either? This is something you could get covered but, the cost to bring the matter to court would far outweigh the monthly cost. Lawyers cost between 365-850 an hour. Going to motion takes about 18 hours of work generally. You do the math if it is worth taking to court.

3. Cell phones are NOT special nor are they extraordinary. They are a modern convenience and not needed. They would not qualify for any consideration.

4. Are the children attending post secondary school or training currently? If yes, you can get the other parent's obligations to pay roughly 1/3 the costs enforced. But, the child will have to possibly pay 1/3 and you will have to pay 1/3. (Depending on the income differences between parents etc...)

Your agreement is not enforceable by FRO. Stop calling them and wasting their time. Clearly you did not have any legal advice when writing up your agreement.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Thank you for all your positive feedback Tayken. Hope you are having a good day.

I did get legal advice and was told that as long as specific dollar amounts were clearly listed it would be ok. I think the point of my question was this. My ex agreed because, he felt it was fair I guess, to pay for a SMALL portion of some expenses but has not done so since Dec 15th. I was just wondering if there was a way to have him live up to his end of the deal.
I haven't wasted anyone's time at FRO because I don't have a case #.

So great example you have used above. It is written in our agreement that College will be split 1/3 1/3 1/3. How do I have him live up to that agreement?

I agree that cell phones are a privilege. He does as well BUT signed an agreement saying he would pay $15 per month for each child but hasn't.

He isn't being scouted but has played on the same team for the past 4 years. I pay $1,800 and he pays $500.

Health premiums are provide by ONE of our employers. (not ex's) and they COST (out of pocket) $30 per month ($15 would be his half) So, again, since we don't have a need to pay each other CS, are these other items not enforceable even though they are listed in detail with $ amounts in our agreement?

If they are....I would just like to know what steps I would need to take
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,004
rockscan will become famous soon enough
Default

Register with FRO and submit the expenses. He can dispute them and say forget it or he can be responsible and pay. Taykens advice was to get you to decide if its worth going to court ($5000 and up) over $200 in costs but when youre registered with FRO then they add up.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165
kingstonmomof2 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Register with FRO and submit the expenses. He can dispute them and say forget it or he can be responsible and pay. Taykens advice was to get you to decide if its worth going to court ($5000 and up) over $200 in costs but when youre registered with FRO then they add up.

Thanks Rockscan. Tayken's advice was dead opposite lol.

Ok, so since I didn't actually go to court (because the partied agreed before it went there) I have to do that now?

Maybe I just go to court house and talk to them there. Perhaps explaining things in person is better than over phone.

Thanks again for the feedback
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,004
rockscan will become famous soon enough
Default

I dont really know how all that works. If you have an agreement you have to file it with the court to make it an order which is then filed with FRO. Once its with FRO you file the expenses. Its a tedious frustrating process but it gets the ball rolling with FRO. You may also want to advise your ex that you will be filing with FRO for recovery if he doesnt pay his share within x number of days. Or you can just file and open that can of worms.

Tayken does have good advice and while it may not be what you want to hear, it is something you should heed. Your ex can still refute the charges and not pay. If he does refute them then you would have to go to court to have an order enforced and that is a long and expensive process. For university expenses that will be a crapshoot as well so prepare yourself for that one. Make sure you have enough money to cover the costs for school in case you need to visit a judge for enforcement.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-29-2016, 09:32 PM
Janus's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,342
Janus will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingstonmomof2 View Post
My ex and I agreed on and signed a SA in Dec of 2015.

No Child Support but we DID agree on how expenses for the kids will be paid.
The obvious question is what does your SA say? What exactly did you guys agree to do?

The wording in this case matters a lot. It can range from "just file it with FRO" to "you have nothing that can even be enforced".
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Procedures to enforce Final Separation Agreement CAMLO Divorce & Family Law 0 03-05-2015 10:03 PM
Motion to Enforce somethingelse Divorce & Family Law 1 09-08-2014 12:53 AM
Can the FRO enforce this? byebye General Chat 5 04-20-2012 07:59 PM
Can the FRO enforce irregular support payments? byebye Divorce & Family Law 2 04-20-2012 06:14 PM
Fro & fsos refuse to enforce support order Kenny Political Issues 1 09-19-2011 07:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.