Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 PM

nearlydone is on a distinguished road
Default How do I end Child Support

My kids are all over 19, none are going to school and two don't live with the ex anymore. It's a $1000 retainer and $300/hour to get a lawyer to end this (as far as I know). I'm in the FRO system. Any help would be appreciated as I just can't afford that. By the way, ex lives in Calgary and is off on Disability and is struggling a bit. But he lives in a HUGE house in a good neighbourhood and hasn't adjusted his expenses to reflect the loss of income. My 21 year old daughter has offered to help him with a budget but he's refused. I KNOW that if I ask to end it amicably there will be a fight. Besides, we can't seem to talk to each other for more than 5 minutes without TENSION.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Winter is on a distinguished road

Print off this form from the FRO website and mail it to them...

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/006-FRO-031E~2/$File/FRO-031E.pdf
Old 01-22-2014, 12:41 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlydone View Post
My kids are all over 19, none are going to school and two don't live with the ex anymore. It's a $1000 retainer and $300/hour to get a lawyer to end this (as far as I know). I'm in the FRO system. Any help would be appreciated as I just can't afford that. By the way, ex lives in Calgary and is off on Disability and is struggling a bit. But he lives in a HUGE house in a good neighbourhood and hasn't adjusted his expenses to reflect the loss of income. My 21 year old daughter has offered to help him with a budget but he's refused. I KNOW that if I ask to end it amicably there will be a fight. Besides, we can't seem to talk to each other for more than 5 minutes without TENSION.
If he would be amiable, it doesn't cost money.

You can file a Motion on consent to make the change. I worked with FRO to do it without a Montion on Consent and they did process it, and even made the order retroactive.

The form is called : Application to Discontinue Enforcement of Ongoing Support - Form, FRO-031E.

But if the ex disputes it, it will have to be decided by FRO senior management.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Thank you. I've filled out the form and spoken to my FRO rep. Ex has 30 days to respond. If he says yes, they review it and end it. If he says no it has to go to court. If he ignores it they will review it.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:38 PM

So that helps ME. Now my current husband is trying to do the same except that he isn't through FRO. Kids are 22 and 19 and neither live at home or are going to school. He still pays for one but thinks its time to be done. Like I said she isn't living at home (lives with her boyfriend) and has finished college). How do we do this? He has an appt with a lawyer but its $1000 retainer and $300/hour. Any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2014, 02:17 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So that helps ME. Now my current husband is trying to do the same except that he isn't through FRO. Kids are 22 and 19 and neither live at home or are going to school. He still pays for one but thinks its time to be done. Like I said she isn't living at home (lives with her boyfriend) and has finished college). How do we do this? He has an appt with a lawyer but its $1000 retainer and $300/hour. Any suggestions?
Motions to Change - Ministry of the Attorney General

Here you go. It need not take a lawyer, if the other party doesn't want to go to court.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Thank you Downtroddendad. I will print this off and have a look. I really appreciate all the help!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:40 PM

Whoa! This form is a little overwhelming (well the instructions are anyway)
Old 01-22-2014, 04:00 PM

FWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Whoa! This form is a little overwhelming
You got jokes... then just dissect the form, and list the "overwhelming" bits
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not going through FRO? Simply stop paying. It might be nice to give a courtesy warning to the ex that as the last child has moved out, CS cheques will cease next month. She has already had however many months it's been since the kid moved out to prepare and budget for this to happen.

This is such a no-brainer it shouldn't even need a lawyer unless she puts up a fuss. Even then, it would be up to her to take action and initiate court, and if that ends up being necessary, WHEN she loses, you ask for her to pay his legal costs because this should all have been preventable.