Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2017, 06:21 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road
Default how did you know you needed to change lawyers?

My lawyer seems good. I like her, she seems knowledgable, what she says seems to match what I read about, but I also realize I am at the mercy of a system I do not know or have expereince in or know anyone to ask questions of. How would I know if something wasn't done right? I am placing all my trust on very serious matters in a person I know nothing about. It is scary. What are signs things are not going well with a lawyer?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:47 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

One mistake I've read on occasion is for someone who hires the lawyer to assume the lawyer will go to court for them only to find out that the lawyer is just a letter-writer and doesn't "do court."

You should ask your lawyer when she is next going to court and that you would like to watch. She should have no problem providing you with time/date. If you like what you see you keep her if you don't like what you see then you dump her. See how the judges react to your lawyer. Is your lawyer well-organized and articulate in court?

Get feedback from people on here. People are pretty straightforward. You may not like what you hear but you can save $$ and much aggravation by listening to people who have been to court before you. Doesn't matter if you're in a different province. Some things vary but we are all under Canadian law.

Signs to watch out for: your lawyer is disorganized at precious meeting time... your lawyer's communication/letter writing is poor and has difficulty conveying information in concise manner... your lawyer is a name-dropper.... your lawyer avoids you....

others will add to this I'm sure. I was fortunate to have a good lawyer.

Remember - the less that your lawyer has to educate you on basic family law matters the better. Don't expect a lot of hand-holding unless you are willing to spend $$$. Same goes with always wanting to speak to your lawyer about mundane matters. If you need a friend get a dog. You don't have to like your lawyer but you should respect your lawyer's legal expertise.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:10 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

You may also want to look on your provincial attorney general site for family law info. Most have good info on the process and what to expect. Also look for how to represent yourself info as that helps educate people on the process.

And the search function on this forum is your friend!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Most definitelynees to address the experience at court. My daughters first lawyer spent lots of time at court. He was a duty counsel so knew the system really well which proved to be an invaluable asset.

Her ex's lawyer had actually never been to court on Family Law which for him was a disaster. He was dam lucky my daughter did not completely screw him
over.

So as you have Been advised check your
Lawyers mode of operation. And stay in control of the Process