Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2017, 02:30 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Imputing income is a complex situation and if your field is dying and leaving means losing time with your kids, your ex would have to demonstrate why an income should be imputed. If you were to quit your job to sell coconuts on a beach yes she could argue for imputation. If you have a job that is downsizing and you are unable to find work in that field that still allows you to be close to your children and you move into another field making a relatively similar income, you could argue that your income does not require imputation. Its a lot more complicated than I get imputed if Im not working. For you, realistically you would have to move to the middle east to continue in your field with a job but that would mean limited time with your children. If you were to go into a field that was somewhat equivalent but with say $20,000 less a year it may not be such a difficult argument.

Look at imputed incomes on canlii. Its not as black and white as some people make out.

*not a lawyer, not legal advice
Old 08-17-2017, 02:33 PM

Tandem80 is on a distinguished road

It's just the threats I have been given recently by her lawyer. So yes feeling stuck damned if I do dabbed if I don't.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:50 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

She pays her lawyer to threaten you. Plus she can say whatever bs she wants. The beauty of court is she has to prove she a) got your permission to do it and b) is providing make up time for the time they dont get to spend with you.

Lawyers get rich on the threats and blustering. Just keep that in mind!