Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2017, 10:23 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange71727 View Post
I agree. What is your stance on competitive gymnastics with a price tag of thousands per year? This is in my near future for one child.... just curious.
If the Olympic team is involved then you have a claim... Otherwise... It is a recreational sport.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:30 PM

Tandem80 is on a distinguished road

Is there any case law to prove that it is not extraordinary? I am being taken to court to pay for hockey when I did not consent to it.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:07 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

I think the more important question is what does your child want and how old is your child? If my child was already in a sport and loved it, I would pay for some of those expenses. But if it was a little kid just starting out and I didn't want the child to go down the hockey path then I would say no. I think hockey and dance are probably the most expensive sports out there, and would be pretty hard to afford via one person. The only other situation I could see refusing to pay was if child wanted to go in too many activities, making it unmanagabel logistically, or unaffordable, or affecting grades.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:10 PM

I've said no to hockey since he was 4! Mother unilaterally put him in, actually step father did...2 yrs ago. Said they weren't seeking contribution and now asking for it and saying I was unreasonable. Keep in mind we're 2 hours drive apart...and 3 other children.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 PM

denbigh is on a distinguished road

IN that case, since you never wanted hockey to begin with from age four, I think it would be hard to justify the other parent pay for it, but legally, I have no idea how this plays out in court. It probablyhelps if you have an email or something to show from age four you didn't want to do hockey
Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 PM

I certainly do have them all! Including the one of her agreeing with me to not go down that path. Then she did. Said she wasn't asking contribution and now she is and says I have unreasonably withheld consent.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:04 AM

Ange71727 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem80 View Post
Is there any case law to prove that it is not extraordinary? I am being taken to court to pay for hockey when I did not consent to it.

What does your order say? Are you obligated to pay half or a proportional rate for sports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 10:07 PM

Karma2016 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but if you have the means to pay for your kids' hockey whether it be house league or travel, then do so. Split the costs with your ex if need be. If your kid truly enjoys it why wouldn't you? Perhaps your EX will need to understand other expenses may be limited because of it. Decide as a couple with your child if this is an expense worth the fuss, but don't deny your kid the opportunity hockey will give him or her regardless if this falls under the umbrella of Ectraordinary!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Hey Tandem80 - wonder if everyone would feel the same if your ex put your child in something REALLY expensive such as equestrian.... Would you have to pay for horse's board and farrier, equipment for horse and rider, lessons, de-worming/veterinarian and all the costs associated with competitive side of things?

If either parent want kids to go into something AFTER divorce then they are expected to obtain the other parent's approval if they expect the other parent to share the cost.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Here is a case that I just read from CanLii:

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...&resultIndex=4

Keep in mind there are 3 children but interesting reading nevertheless. Not sure I agree with the decision but then what do I know.... not much when it comes to child support. With that in mind, I'd say it is pretty important to do thorough research... CanLii is a good start.