Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 05:31 PM

#1StepMom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
He is the father so of course he should meet his obligations - I don't think he gets points for doing what he should - why should she be 'glad' that he is doing what he should as a father, as if he is somehow doing her a favour.
Very true. I don't disagree. My husband did the right thing stepping up as a father when paternity was verified. Not every woman in a similiar situation to this is as lucky, however. For example, my stepson's mom's two cousins who became pregnant in a similar fashion shorty after my stepson was born, the fathers of their babies did not stick around and want nothing to do with them or their children. It's quite unfortunate. But that is the reality we live in. Not every man who fathers a child out of wedlock chooses to make the right decision.

Anyhow, going back to the original question... how do you determine was is a reasonable expense that can be covered by child support and what isn't? It would be so much easier if there were some set guidelines or formula... for example, if the expense is more than 30% of the monthly child support amount, or something along those lines. And how do you determine what is necessary, and what is not? Is a $400 league membership necessary or would a session of 10 lessons for $80 suffice? You know what I mean?

Last edited by #1StepMom; 05-01-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:53 AM

Foredeck is on a distinguished road

Are special and extra-ordinary expenses always split by the income ratio? If I make 66% of our combined income, do I generally have to pay 66% of all of these expenses?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 AM

#1StepMom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foredeck View Post
Are special and extra-ordinary expenses always split by the income ratio? If I make 66% of our combined income, do I generally have to pay 66% of all of these expenses?
Yup! Unless you agree otherwise. Just make sure you get any such agreement in writing, even if it is only for one expense.
Closed Thread