Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2017, 09:17 AM

LastTime is on a distinguished road
Default Ex seeking reimbursement for 5 years of rent

Here's one for you::

Agreement and Final Order all done. Spent about $40K in lawyer costs.

Paying $40,000/year in SS, CS and 1/2 tuition for a 21-year old still living with her mother. Son happily lives with me.

Marital house finally sold after 5 years(!!); I retained a few thousand to pay legal bills; Ex got ~$250K net from it.

Ex fought to stay in marital house those 5 years; barred me from entry (except 2x/year for "inspection"); was away for two 6-month vacations overseas; refused to lower listing price to market value (why it took so long to sell); agreed in the Agreement to pay all expenses re hydro, taxes, mortgage, etc.

Ex now claims she was caretaking the house as a "joint investment" for our mutual benefit; wants 50% reimbursement for those 5 years of paying for her roof over her head...with 3% interest!

Comments or suggestions?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:31 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

She was living in the house and wants rent from you? It's actually the other way around... she should owe you rent for living in your property however that is usually zeroed out by the fact the one living there pays the mortgage. Were you still making mortgage payments in those 5 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2017, 09:35 AM

LastTime is on a distinguished road

It was a line of credit instead of a mortgage (she was therefore able to pay interest only) and was absolutely included in what she agreed to pay as house costs while living there. So yes to payments - but she agreed to pay them and that's all in the Agreement.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:27 PM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

How much would it cost her to rent a similar house (including utils)? Or even a 2 bdrm apartment including utils. Subtract that from what she is asking for. Probably comparable. Which means she has no basis for her claim.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:31 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

unless she files court papers I wouldnt be too worried about it. She probably just wanted to throw it out there to see if you would pay without knowing your rights.

I wouldnt bother responding to her on this at all.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
unless she files court papers I wouldnt be too worried about it. She probably just wanted to throw it out there to see if you would pay without knowing your rights.

I wouldnt bother responding to her on this at all.
^^^ This.

You can /ignore this nonsense from the other person.