Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2017, 10:36 AM

cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinton View Post
I found her.

LOL...too true. The most narcissistic person you could possibly meet.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 AM

I have an update,

My ex who still thinks her child support payment should be based off her net income, yet who hasn't spoken to a lawyer or done any research has decided she will in the meantime start writing cheques to me in the amount for child support that the calculator says she owes based on her net income.

I mentioned that I would prefer just to keep paying her full child support for both children until the ruling or mediation is done. She could then write me a cheque for what she owes from when the time my son moved in with me.

Any advice on whether I should cash these cheques or just wait until we know what she truly owes would be appreciated! I don't want to set any kind of status quo's or anything like that.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:33 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow4ex View Post
LOL...too true. The most narcissistic person you could possibly meet.
As I recall this is the same person who demanded that you pay for a service at her property to pick up the dog poop.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
As I recall this is the same person who demanded that you pay for a service at her property to pick up the dog poop.
The one and only!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
I have an update,

My ex who still thinks her child support payment should be based off her net income, yet who hasn't spoken to a lawyer or done any research has decided she will in the meantime start writing cheques to me in the amount for child support that the calculator says she owes based on her net income.

I mentioned that I would prefer just to keep paying her full child support for both children until the ruling or mediation is done. She could then write me a cheque for what she owes from when the time my son moved in with me.

Any advice on whether I should cash these cheques or just wait until we know what she truly owes would be appreciated! I don't want to set any kind of status quo's or anything like that.
1. Child support is easy to calculate online (MySupportCalculator.ca)

2. She is indeed obligated to pay you support for the child residing the majority of time with you.

3. Line 150 is what you generally base the payment on.

4. You are still obligated to pay her child support for the child residing with her.

5. If you are the higher income earner you can use the calculator (provided in #1) to calculate what you should be paying less the difference she should be paying you.

6. You can cash the checks. They are an acknowledgment that she owes child support. So, the status quo that has been established through her conduct is that you are the majority access parent to this child. (Bad move on her part!)

7. If you have her T4 or NoA for the past year then you can do #5 if you are the higher income earner and simply not cash her checks. Her contribution to CS is recognized in the reduction in total CS she gets. She just gets it for the child that resides with her.

If you are not arguing about whom the majority access parent is for each child, it really is a simple number to calculate and quite standard stuff.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 10-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The one and only!
Still one of the best posts ever on this site!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 AM

In most cases line 150 is the standard however our Gov't in all the infinite wisdom left a lot of grey area when it comes to home business and self employed.

The issue is she runs a home daycare and has business expenses (daycare food, business insurance and advertising) which I am willing to except as genuine expenses however all the other deductions she gets fro tax purposes (mortgage, car payment, car insurance, utilities) should be added back into her salary for child support purposes.

There really is no debate as to who the primary care giver is of my son who is 16. The only real area of contention is what number she wants to use as income to calculate her child support.

So your saying the smarter play is to except the smaller amount checks, cash them and collect the difference when her income is calculated accurately?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:15 AM

mafia007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So your saying the smarter play is to except the smaller amount checks, cash them and collect the difference when her income is calculated accurately?
YES, as per Tayken, cash the checks to show that you need the money for the child. As it is the right of the child to receive those funds, if she still owes you money according to the table, she will be in arrears. No big deal about it. Never the court will set a status quo on money that are due for the sake of the children. If she did not made payment according to the table, there would be an adjustment. Lower payment will result in arrears and higher payment will result in a credit to her.

All you need to do, and I think you did already, is to tell her that you will cash the checks for now until the actual salary is imputed to her as a daycare provider. She is aware that you think she should be paying more. That's all.

When you were paying, did you had a relief of any kind? Why would she get some today?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 AM

piggybanktoex is on a distinguished road

Wow,

My ex demanded, during separation, an amount of $1,500 per month to cover kids underwear and socks while receiving $200,000 net per year from me.

That ties the "dog support" entitlement.

After I stopped laughing, I said NO.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:00 PM

Hey...kids need to be sporting Gucci and Prada nowadays lol