Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 03:07 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about
Default **deleted**

My ex and I have cats, they all live with me. Since separating I have paid all of the expenses for all of them. Currently he can't take the one cat that is entirely his because he can't have pets where he lives. He doesn't want to take him when he moves because all the cats were raised together (one of the others is a sibling) and he feels it would be wrong to separate them after all this time. I don't have a problem with that.

Aside from regular health checks, it is rare that I have to take them into the vet but lately I've had to make a few trips in for his cat and it's getting pretty pricey, especially since I had to treat the others as well 'just in case'. I've kept him up to date on what's going on with the cat and hoped he'd offer to pay some of it at least but....he hasn't.

Is it possible to include something in our separation agreement about him maintaining pet insurance for at least his own cat to help offset the amount I'm spending back and forth to the vet? I would never not take him if he was sick, especially since the others could get sick as well but the bills are adding up for this little guy and I really can't afford it much longer.

Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:43 PM

piggybanktoex is on a distinguished road

What is PS (pet support) worth these days? Bet the guidelines are based on giving the cats the same level of lifestyle they had prior to the split. ; )
Old 05-09-2010, 04:39 PM

BitHunter is on a distinguished road

Actually I have exactly the same case, and I found the following:

As for pet support, in the Alberta case of Boschee v. Duncan, [2004] A.J. 677, in addition to seeking $1,500 per month in spousal support, the wife claimed $200 per month to support her husband’s St. Bernard dog. The wife argued that she required pet support to cover the veterinary costs and the costs of feeding and caring for the dog after her husband left the dog in her care. The court found that a St. Bernand dog costs more to maintain and feed than the usual smaller variety. The judge hearing this case ruled that $200 per month was a reasonable sum to compensate the wife for the time and expense required to look after her husband’s dog and ordered him to pay pet support.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:47 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

I dunno! Regular food and maintenance stuff is one thing but I think I need a 'Section 7' for his vet bills or something!

I just looked up some pet insurance costs with PC financial and the cost ranges from $10 (accident only) - $34/ month (ultra plan covers everything) which doesn't seem too unreasaonable. They do have multi-pet plans for 3+ pets but I would have to call to see what that would be.

It's always the unexpected things that get you. *sigh*
Old 05-09-2010, 04:48 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

What a joke. If bickering spouses have to resort to court to settle their differences, it's bad enough. But pet support?? Give me a break.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:49 PM

rszalai,

I saw that one too, I did try to find some other examples and haven't yet. I searched the whole forum as well and found only a couple of mentions of it, mostly pertaining to custody though and that isn't an issue atall here. I don't mind caring for the kitty so he can stay with his little kitty family but if things keep up the way they have I won't be able to afford to
Old 05-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadtotheend View Post
What a joke. If bickering spouses have to resort to court to settle their differences, it's bad enough. But pet support?? Give me a break.
We're not bickering about anything, I just need to know if it's even an option to ask for some contribution towards his pet's vet bills. We used to split everything before but now I support myself and our children and suddenly have unexpected vet bills for his cat. I have no desire to go to court over it, just need to know if it's even a consideration to ask for some help with his cat's vet bills.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:12 PM

piggybanktoex is on a distinguished road

I think it is same to assume that you now own the cat and the cost assoicated with it's ownership.

There is a reason I don't own a pet. Kids grow up, pets only grow old.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
We're not bickering about anything, I just need to know if it's even an option to ask for some contribution towards his pet's vet bills.
I certainly hope not, unless he/she is a bio parent of the animal. Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Pet support? PET SUPPORT???

How insanely laughable. I would be embarassed to even think of asking for pet support. Have a little pride, please.

Last edited by dadtotheend; 05-09-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 PM

It's one thing to ask someone to care for your animal while you are away and insist on paying for it.

It's an entirely different, ridiculous and greedy position to seek support for an f'n pet.
Closed Thread