Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 01:44 PM

Foredeck is on a distinguished road
Default CPP split, common law then married

I just finalized my separation and now I'm trying to complete the CPP splitting form.

I have a question question. We were living together for about 2 years before getting married, then married for 3 years.

Is the CPP split just for the 3 years we were married, or will it be split from the start?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:24 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

In Ontario you must live together 3 years before being considered common law, unless you have a child together. I don't think the time before you were actually married would count but not 100% sure.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Under Federal rules the time is 1 year of living together. Moreover, if you lived together for 2 years and then were married for 3, the total time living together would be 5 years.

The federal rule is mostly just for federal taxes, pensions and benefits, it doesn't get as much attention as the provincial rules.
Closed Thread