Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2016, 05:35 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Actually NOAs are pretty useless IMO when it comes to collecting money from a self-employed individual or someone who is hiding money under a 3rd party or corporation.

Do you have any idea of what his standard of living is like? Does he live large? Contrary to what others have said here I find that, as was/in my situation, sleazy ex's are quite adept at using their significant others as safe havens to hide money.

Looking back at my mistakes I'd recommend you staying the course with the P.I. until you have some definitive info. to give to FRO. Then you have to put pressure on FRO to collect. You call them incessantly if need be and request feedback on their actions with info you give them. If you are able to glean enough information through your ex's lifestyle you can always hire a lawyer to have income imputed. You would need quite a bit of info for that to be successful.

FRO and other maintenance enforcement agencies have policies and procedures (which they keep secret) that they follow when collecting from someone who hides money through 3rd party. Alberta MEP refers to it as "lifting the corporate veil". I obtained lots of information by way of the WCB as primary contractors in Alberta are very fussy about contract employees having WCB coverage.

You have your work ahead of you that's for sure. Follow the money. I wish you good luck.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:56 PM

Mother of two is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your feedback. I do have lots of info. Looks like they have a waterfront home drive nice cars go on vacations etc...However they have three young children. So not sure if that would come into play? I don't want them (the new kids) to go without, i'm not that greedy, I just want him to play fair! I do call FRO and they say nothing can be done as he pays, albeit not the amount thats court ordered, just dribbles in every 30 days-showing intent to pay. I did call the CRA however and give them info I have uncovered and they were very interested to hear what I had to say. Anyway just cant wait until the kids are old enough and this can all end. When i email him to ask when to expect payment or can he help with tuition etc... he says things like NO im not coming back stop wishing for me and get on with your own life, or you must be off your meds. It's really hard to deal with this guy. I had a lawyer once say well you married him! Needless to say hes not my lawyer anymore!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:21 PM

Bellbaby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
I

Many many MANY people make the mistake that because they have an order for an amount to pay, they dont have to pay anything else. Unfortunately they are obligated to update their cs amounts with income changes.
Is child support usually based off these previous year's income (NOA), or current years income?

My situation - payor receives a 2% standard yearly raise, but will have capital gains this year... They already had a $40k capital gain earlier in the year. Another capital gain by the end of this year or beginning of next year. They are disposing of houses...
Old 10-23-2016, 07:57 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Its normally based off noa but if income changes significantly outside of tax time, they are supposed to update.