Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 25
dajackal is on a distinguished road
Talking Child support ! Overpayment?

Here's the scoop.

I'm a remarried dad with 4 kids (all from first marriage). Up until July of this year, 3 kids lived with their mom and 1 with me and my new wife. July 13, my youngest moved in with me and now she only has 2.

Support was based accordingly by the CS guidelines. I'm still paying her for 3 kids even though i have 2 now.

I started a motion to change a final order, but am doing this without counsel.

Am i going to get a credit for an overpayment? or will she get it?
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Maggie82's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 183
Maggie82 is on a distinguished road

Sadly, you won't get a credit. The courts tend to view overpayment as a "gift" for the child(ren). That is why it is so important to start a motion to change a support order as soon as the circumstance changes. Either way, because of how long it takes for such a change to take place, you'll still end up "overpaying" for several months. Sad but a true reality.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 25
dajackal is on a distinguished road

A Gift? WTF

I haven't got a choice but to pay her for 3 kids (even though one moved in with me)... A court order says so. (till i get it changed)

The kids will get a gift? bs, she's doin some renos to the boy's room that moved out. Payin for it with my overpayment. gettin some 400/month extra. 400/month she shouldn't get. So for as long as she and her lawyer drags this out... they hit the lottery?

She couldn't possibly be exempt from paying support for a kid that is with me and still collect for him. That makes no sense. Every dime i've paid for 13 years has been based on the Child support Guidelines. The guidelines have to apply to her as well. Or is the courts bias toward men and shows preference toward women?
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 PM
dadtotheend's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,644
dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

If you aren't paying through the FRO, why not arbitrarily reduce the table amount to what you should be paying based on two kids? Stop the gift.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 25
dajackal is on a distinguished road

I am paying thru FRO... from a court order .. based on child support guidelines

I can't change the ammount.... only a judge can. and i have to pay until he does
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Kimberley's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 477
Kimberley is on a distinguished road

File a motion to change the order based on the change in circumstance. I have read quite a few cases on CanLII that HAVE taken facts into consideration where it regards over-payment, and after re-calculation due to the change in where the children are living, she would be expected to pay X amount based on the guidelines to you, and you to her - so on & so forth. Go have a read for cases and you may find the information you seek.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM
FL_Needs_To_Change's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 1,261
FL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura aboutFL_Needs_To_Change has a spectacular aura about

There are numerous cases where overpayment has been factored in, the initial CS payments will reduce to compensate for the overpayment, and then adjust to the actual amount based on the # of children after the overpayment has been resolved. Even though you are self represented this is not a reason to feel that you should not seek to have an overpayment reimbursed, after all arrears are allowed every day, and that is the ground I would claim on. Courts do not make assumptions, clearly indicate the change in your expenses now that you care for 2 of the children, and explain how much you have overpaid thus taking away from the care of the children you are caring for, and ask for consideration of the overpayment, make it a sincere request, and I am sure the courts will consider it.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 25
dajackal is on a distinguished road

this thread is a few month old but i'd like some input pls. As i mentioned before, i'm trying to change a final order because one of my children moved in with me and i wish to lower the ammount of CS i must pay my ex.

our case conference is jan 5,09. she responded(via papers yesterday) to the case conference brief and is now requesting i repay her my share of expenses from dentist trips (for the kids), from 2002 to 2005. note, after 2005 total expenses were paid via mine and my new wifes insurance.

Can she ask for expenses that date back 4 to 7 years? even though we were in court in 05 and 06 and these never came up.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 170
Suchislife is on a distinguished road

Of course someone can ASK for these but must have explicit paperwork.
In my partners experience old babysitting & daycare receipts were dismissed by the Judge.
I'm sorry for you that your EX is turning your motion to reduce CS into clammering for any $ she thinks she can obtain.
To fight in court over a bit of money spent years back is only going to prolong the case and cost her the legal fees. Too bad she just doesn't appreciate the 100% coverage you provide now!!
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 25
dajackal is on a distinguished road

whoops, our Case Conference is jan 20th. (not the 5th)

Yes she served me a detailed leger she optained from the dentist in Dec for this 4 year or so period.

Over this 4 year period i paid support for 4 kids based on making 40k a yr. 900/month . For 2 of the years i maid almost 10k less (i was laid off twice). And in July 05, one of my children moved in with me. I continued to pay the full 900/month for 13months until a judge change the CS and issued a new Deduction order to FRO.

If a judge will look back at dentist bills from years gone by, won't he look at the overpayment i paid her and the lesser salary i earned? will i get credit for that overpayment if i agree to pay my share of those old dentist bills.???

my new wife says i'm going to have a heart attack worring about all these things . she's prob right. lol. any input is much appreciated.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Co-parenting ----post divorce bearall Parenting Issues 14 05-25-2010 12:14 PM
Joint Effort to Change Table Amounts of CS 350_dad Political Issues 43 12-18-2009 02:01 AM
Child Support Question Gwen Financial Issues 10 10-16-2008 12:54 PM
What Were They Thinking........ FL_Needs_To_Change Divorce & Family Law 6 05-25-2007 10:47 PM
new here & need advice Please??? momofnl Divorce & Family Law 4 03-25-2007 03:36 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 AM.