Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 12:54 PM

Chrysalis68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is child support included in ss calculations?

I receive child support from my previous husband for my 3 kids.
Does this amount get added ontop of my income when calculating
Spousal Support from my new husband of 5 years (well soon to be ex)

Also, since there are children involved would it be until the youngest finishes highschool?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:43 PM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

Are you working? Planning on working? full time? part time?

You have to contribute to your own situation. You have to prove you are entitled to Spousal support, it's not an automatic thing.

AT BEST (assuming you could prove your career/etc suffered from the marriage) you are looking at 2.5-5 years of spousal support....more likely 2.5 given the short duration of the marriage.

Typically child support IS factored into your income, but given they aren't his kids, your best bet is to speak to a lawyer.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Hopeless in Hope is on a distinguished road

So, does the length of the relationship, mine being 14 years, play a factor in determining the length of time SS will be paid??
Old 04-01-2011, 11:57 PM

06nomad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis68 View Post
Does this amount get added ontop of my income when calculating

Also, since there are children involved would it be until the youngest finishes highschool?
I see a career pattern here lol
Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Havok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis68 View Post

I see a patten here... I would suggest not getting married again or if you are simply looking for an easy meal ticket, keep getting married and divorced. If you do that enough then you can get all the spousal support you need to never work a day in your life.

Cheers and good luck in your future divorces...
Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

In the Toronto Sun there's a syndicated column, "Ask Amy". One of todays letters was a woman who couldn't get a date. Her final lines included:
Quote:
Should I just say to heck with it and focus all of my energy on making a real career for myself?
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:58 PM

canadamama is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading through this thread illustrates PERFECTLY why the accusation keeps surfacing that this forum is hostile to women.

You lot made some pretty heavy assumptions about this woman based on a very brief email... she asked a simple question, and NOTHING in her email indicated that she was asking for your opinions regarding her life choices, about which you have VERY LITTLE information.

Pretty much any woman who expresses entitlement to SS on this forum is met with derision and scorn, and any woman who expresses frustration because she has to PAY SS gets gleefully told to suck it up because men have been getting screwed for years.

The fact of the matter is that SS IS something that many exes ARE entitled to, and demonizing those who are trying to get that to which they are lawfully entitled extends beyond men getting access to their kids.

Lawful entitlement is what it is, and like it or not, that extends to SS.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadamama View Post
The fact of the matter is that SS IS something that many exes ARE entitled to, and demonizing those who are trying to get that to which they are lawfully entitled extends beyond men getting access to their kids.
I said that completely wrong! I got interrupted mid-sentence and ended up merging two ideas. What I MEANT to say was this:

"The fact of the matter is that SS IS something that many exes ARE entitled to, and demonizing those who are trying to get that to which they are lawfully entitled is unfair and unproductive. Lawful entitlement extends beyond men getting access to their kids."
Old 04-02-2011, 03:21 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

The husband she herself described as "new", the marriage is short, 5 years and she is asking if she can get SS until the youngest child, who is being supported by the bio father, is out of high school. This is more than a bit beyond "lawful entitlement".
Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The husband she herself described as "new", the marriage is short, 5 years and she is asking if she can get SS until the youngest child, who is being supported by the bio father, is out of high school. This is more than a bit beyond "lawful entitlement".
The impression I got was that she used the word 'new' to differentiate from the first husband - she could just as easily said 'current' or some other word.

And yes, "lawful entitlement" is EXACTLY what she is asking about. Her question was, "Is child support from a previous relationship counted as income when calculating spousal support from a subsequent marriage?" It's a simple question, and simply answering it would have been much more respectful (and legitimately informative) than the judgmental attacks she received.

She never actually got a straight answer in this thread - all she got were attacks on her character, which is absolutely typical of this forum.

This is my point - time after time I see women coming on here asking about their entitlement to SS, only to be told to stop freeloading and get a job. These questions are perfectly legitimate for a forum such as this, but asking them here invites attack and derision, time after time.
Closed Thread