Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Veryconfused is on a distinguished road
Default Child Support and clothing

Hello all,
I currently pay child support (3 boys), they live with me 50%.

Who's responsible for purchasing coats, shoes, boots and back to school supplies, etc?

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:09 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

You pay full support or offset?

If you pay full support, this covers clothing and day to day items such as school supplies. If you pay offset then you each pay to provide for your own homes. Things like school supplies can be split.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:38 PM

What is difference between offset and full?
For extraordinary I pay 66% she pays 33% (Sports, camps)

Last edited by Veryconfused; 09-11-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-11-2016, 05:52 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Full child support is you paying her the table guideline amount based on your income alone, which would typically be applied if she were unemployed or otherwise had no income or if she had the kids more than 60 percent of the time.

Offset is determined by calculating how much each of you would pay the other if the other had the kids more than 60 percent of the time. The person with the higher income pays the other the difference.

Example:

Parent A pays CS amount: $1000
Parent B pays CS amount: $600

Parent A pays parent B the difference, $400.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:56 PM

Ah, we used the my support calculator (online) imputing the details of salaries and kids (age and 50/50 living arrangements)

Would that be my offset?

Last edited by Veryconfused; 09-11-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-11-2016, 06:44 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

If you are using both her income and yours to calculate the support amounts, then you are probably using offset (or a version of offset). Usually in offset situations each parent buys the items the child needs in his/her home (so you each buy some clothes, toiletries, etc). Big-ticket items like new winter coats and boots usually get split according to the income ratio (66%/33% in your case). Same with school supplies. However, this is not written in stone and different parents have different arrangements.

Long story short: if you are paying offset and kids are living half time with you, your ex should not be responsible for all the back-to-school costs - you should share them in some form.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

clothing - everybody pays for a wardrobe at their home
school supplies split the cost 50/50 (it is not a special expense)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:00 PM

good_mom is on a distinguished road

Link is correct you are already paying support to equalize day to day. School supplies are day to day so it's 50\50. Extraordinary is above and beyond day to day.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:21 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

It varies. My separation agreement says that ex and I split school costs and big clothing expenditures (over $100) according to income ratio (which means that I pay more than half the costs, as my income is higher). There are many ways to work it out - the point is that in an offset situation, you can't assume that everything is covered by child support.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Child Support and clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
It varies. My separation agreement says that ex and I split school costs and big clothing expenditures (over $100) according to income ratio (which means that I pay more than half the costs, as my income is higher). There are many ways to work it out - the point is that in an offset situation, you can't assume that everything is covered by child support.

I pay full child support and I still pay for clothing for child to have at my residence, purchase shoes, boots, and back to school items.

Of course, the custodial parent should pay but because I was asked to and had no choice by other parent, I pay and purchase the items, keep receipts and will use that in my claims against offset support.

In your case , by stuff for your kid to have at your house and buy back to school stuff. If it's offset then You're both paying child support. Don't buy clothes for her for moms house. That's not your responsibility. Gifts and presents are different story, you could buy those and let child take them where she wants them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk