Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2016, 09:13 AM

phatkid77 is on a distinguished road
Default Child support

Hey everyone.
A while ago I thought I had read something, just verifying what child support covers..

I have 50/50 therefore pay the set off amount....$150 for 1 son plus 56% of S7 expenses. Looking for clarification, are

School supplies, class trips,, hot lunches. Covered or they a S7? I've been treating them as such. But wondering if just going half on winter stuff. Sports. Ect would only be s7
Thanks
Phats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2016, 09:36 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Are the following S7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatkid77 View Post
School supplies
no

...unless the kid has a medical condition and needs special equipment

Quote:
class trips
probably no, a trip to Italy would be different

Quote:
hot lunches
no

...unless kid has a medical condition and needs special expensive lunches

Quote:
winter stuff
Not sure what that means, but if it is winter clothing, then no.

...unless the kid has a medical condition and requires super special clothes

Quote:
Sports
Also not S7

...unless the kid has realistic Olympic or NHL potential
Old 11-23-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
Are the following S7?

no

...unless the kid has a medical condition and needs special equipment

probably no, a trip to Italy would be different

no

...unless kid has a medical condition and needs special expensive lunches

Not sure what that means, but if it is winter clothing, then no.

...unless the kid has a medical condition and requires super special clothes

Also not S7

...unless the kid has realistic Olympic or NHL potential

Thanks a lot! JUST read an old post of yours that touched on S7. Thing is my ex will likely call a lawyer if I stop paying. Lol. Although she can't afford.
So winter coat and pants aren't covered? I only chipped in because my low CS and it was for my son and the statement of S7 is obviously very unclear.

I'm only asking now because my ex works less due to "illness" so I should be paying 385 vs 150 now.. so when I up the CS I'm shutting down the extra crap I chip in she spends money on, but want to KNOW I have a leg to stand on..
not to mention she gets ALL Govt cheques/rebates ect for our son... which I want to bring up as she said I prob owe a chunk of arrears.... so, forget the arrears and move forward..

Old 11-23-2016, 09:50 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Now, before you get too excited, paying offset support is different than paying full support. If you pay full support, then the custodial parent is 100% responsible for clothing and food and normal extracurricular activities.

However, with offset, you are both responsible. Clothing is not section 7, but in offset she is technically paying you child support as well, so you have some responsibility when it comes to normal expenses that are covered by child care.

So, your listed scenarios are not S7, but that doesn't necessarily get you off the hook.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:54 AM

Lol. So clear as mud

Old 11-23-2016, 12:31 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

From what you said, if these expenses are treated as S7, you would pay 56%.

If they are not treated as S7, they should be shared equally with the other parent, as Janus has explained, because you have 50/50 shared parenting meaning that you pay each other child support, you would pay 50%.

The difference is 6%. Is this a hill to die on?
Old 11-23-2016, 12:52 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatkid77 View Post
Thanks a lot! JUST read an old post of yours that touched on S7. Thing is my ex will likely call a lawyer if I stop paying. Lol. Although she can't afford.
So winter coat and pants aren't covered? I only chipped in because my low CS and it was for my son and the statement of S7 is obviously very unclear.

I'm only asking now because my ex works less due to "illness" so I should be paying 385 vs 150 now.. so when I up the CS I'm shutting down the extra crap I chip in she spends money on, but want to KNOW I have a leg to stand on..
not to mention she gets ALL Govt cheques/rebates ect for our son... which I want to bring up as she said I prob owe a chunk of arrears.... so, forget the arrears and move forward..

Heres the deal on govt rebates etc...

If you have shared 50/50 normally its paid offset years. If you agreed to that then its a moot point now and you cant argue that.

If you have day care or activity expenses, she is technically supposed supposed to reimburse you the difference.

As for the rest, is it really worth the fight? You could split the clothing expenses. I would be firm about the hot lunches and school trips if theyre piddly amounts like $10.

She can call a lawyer all she wants, actually going through with it is another matter. You could figure out how much tax money she was getting from daycare and activities and remind her she was supposed to pay you back if she blusters about arrears. Sounds more like a scare tactic to me.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
From what you said, if these expenses are treated as S7, you would pay 56%.

If they are not treated as S7, they should be shared equally with the other parent, as Janus has explained, because you have 50/50 shared parenting meaning that you pay each other child support, you would pay 50%.

The difference is 6%. Is this a hill to die on?

Mmmm. I think I get what you're saying. No I wouldn't die for 6%. As such I pay 60%. Maybe I'll just do the 50/50 as the CA should cover some of the basic crap already

Old 11-23-2016, 04:01 PM

Also. More interested in her dropping (she won't) her "arrears" dreams. Since I kept her on my benefit plan saving her over $500/month I bet EASILY on meds and treatments.. for like 3yrs... SIX if you count day of separation

Old 11-23-2016, 04:23 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

What is she talking about when she says arrears? Did you not update income or pay the proper cs? She would have to answer why she didnt seek it. Plus the amounts that the expenses were supposed to be reduced due to the tax benefits.

Shes also the one looking to reduce cs due to her issue. She should be working to support her kid.