Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Starmist is on a distinguished road
Default Child Support 17 yr old

Hello... I am wondering if it would be in my childs best interest to file for child support payments from my ex. We have been apart since she was a baby. He started by paying $325 for a year then it went down to $250 for a few years which I verbally agreed to. The last 7 years it has dwindled and he only pays $50 here and there when he feels like it. She is 17 now. I have been very ill for the past 3 years so I was not able to look into this. Is it too late? What should my first step be? I am really hoping he will help with her future education. I need to get something in place. Help!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:42 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Was there ever an order for support?

You may not be able to get back support for more than three years but should be able to file an application for support.

Your daughter is entitled to support and you should request it. The court order will help enforce it if he balks at paying. The amount depends on his income. You would also request an order for section 7 expenses for post secondary school.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:51 PM

Starmist is on a distinguished road

Thank you
Never had an order for support. Was too nice and thought he'd uphold his end.
Big mistake!
I will definitely look into Section 7