Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 PM

momiss2 is on a distinguished road
Default Child support for

19 year old is back from 1st year college. Living with dad during the week and my home on weekends. Given that I would pay 527. if she lived with him full time.... what would I owe him under this situation??? Anyone know?
Or is this considered full time? Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

It is going to depend on the over nights... will you have your son Friday, Saturday, Sunday night? If you have your son 3 nights a week, that is considered over 40% of the time and offset would apply, however if he is only staying there Friday & Saturday, you would only be at about 29%, which is considered full time for CS purposes.

Honestly, I have issue with "adults" being eligible for CS... at 19, they should be working and be able to support themselves through the summer (especially if they are living under Mom/Dad's roof). I personally think they should consider themselves lucky their parents have no choice but to pay for post secondary education.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Depends on what you mean by the weekend.

If she is there Friday night through Sunday night, and goes back to his place Monday, then you are 4/3 which is within 60/40.

If she is only at your place 2 nights on the weekend, then dad is considered to have full physical custody.

Is dad making an issue about it? Is going to ask for support? Have you spoken to each other about it?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

I'm weeping for your saga.. in total tears.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 AM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Honestly, I have issue with "adults" being eligible for CS... at 19, they should be working and be able to support themselves through the summer
The child's earnings have an impact on child support. An onus (or imputed income) is not put on them due to the variable potential for employment - compare Betty who spends a summer working for Ford and earns 10k vs Bob who earns 3k working at Tim Hortons vs Brian who can't get a job, period. Only being available for a few months of the year severely limits already strained job prospects.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
Honestly, I have issue with "adults" being eligible for CS... at 19
Outside of family law circles, this is not well known. I imagine there would be a bigger hue and cry were it to become public knowledge.

Those that do know about it often think that the CS money goes to the kid. Hell, most people think that recipients actually have to spend CS money on their children.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM

Actually she's just turned 20. She has decided to live with her dad 5 out of 7 days, because he's given her an old beater car. He is a major manipulator and has lied to her saying he won't expect child support. He will do anything not to have to pay me and will manipulate her just to avoid that. He won't pay spousal which is 150 a mth., which I only received for about 6 months and not since. Bottom line is he will manipulate her and laugh all the way to the bank. He called this morning and said he will find out how much child support is and let me know. I called him first because he would get with it later for years in order not to pay spousal. I plan on letting my daughter know that he wants child support. At 20 she needs to know that he really wants to screw her mother around at all costs. He has tried to screw them too: by trying to get them to lie i court when he was pulled over drunk in the boat. Lucky it didn't go to court but it ended the marriage because he was teaching her and my son to lie and that thats what families do. Yes, she has a full time job this summer. Not that the law makes a difference. I am just so frustrated and can't get ahead. Once I start to something like this happens. Somehow in her eyes I look the bad guy.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM

HappyDays is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by momiss2 View Post
I plan on letting my daughter know that he wants child support. At 20 she needs to know that he really wants to screw her mother around at all costs.

....Somehow in her eyes I look the bad guy.

It would be really sad if you brought your daughter into this. This has nothing to do with her, and she shouldn't be involved. Why would you want to put her in the middle, and put stress on her? I wouldn't want to live with someone doing that to me... How are you certain the father doesn't just want to be with his child? Many parents give their kids what they can, but that doesn't mean they're trying to bribe them...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Those are the people that grow up to become entitlement chasers
An early push in the right direction can have a great impact on a child's adult life. Sometimes the kids working at Timmy's are still taking on thousands in student debt and do not have the time to excel at school.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM

I have a very good job and diploma but 500 a month is very steep. He does want to see his daughter which I would never interfere with. I lived in a life with him where he had the control, and was an emotional abuser. I know that its all about money for him because I was with him for 25 years. Any extra money I have is spent on my daughter for cloting she may need, groceries etc. when she was away at school last year. Its about a power play on the x's part and wanting to screw me anyway he can. That has always been what its about. He makes more. In the agreement it said 150 spousal which he hasn't paid. What does that tell you.
Closed Thread