Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM

skins56 is on a distinguished road
Default Child Care Subsidy, Custody and Taxes etc.

Hi all,
I am back for some information during this tax time. I have read through the board and searched for answers, but tough to some by. Just wondering if anyone could provide some info to me.

Here is a breakdown of my situation.

Child is 5 years old in Senior Kindergarten. Separated since child was 1. Had minimal overnight custody/visitation until Sept 2011. From Sept 2011 – Jan 2012 I had basically 30% custody. In Jan 2012, we attended mediation as per requested by my Lawyer. In Jan 2012, mediator suggested 50/50 custody (which ex was not happy with) to begin in June 2012. Starting in June 2012 to present 50/50 custody, all pickup and drop offs occur at school/daycare.

Having said all that, the Final Order is still the original, nothing has ever been amended through the courts, just through lawyers and the mediator. Have had no problems with ex, and our daughter has never had an issue with anything at any time from the beginning.

I pay $128 a month child support $72 a month toward child care (subsidized). The city of Ottawa obviously has not been informed of 50/50 custody, in order to keep child care costs down.

Now brings me to the point of the topic.

Child Care Subsidy:
  • Does it get calculated by child and primary parent? If the city of Ottawa was to be notified will the amount change?
  • Should the child be subsidized towards my ex’s income, and I should be paying 50% child care costs at full amount?
  • Can I be calculated into our daughters child care subsidized amounts?
  • Would my ex lose her subsidized spot based on 50/50 custody?
  • If my ex is in a common-law relationship, does this info need to be reported to the city of Ottawa and will it be recalculated based on household income?
(The mediator basically said to keep this info to ourselves to keep child care costs down)

Taxes:

I understand tax law and family law are two different things. I do not receive and tax benefits, CCTB, UCCB, child care receipts etc. The CRA has never been informed of a 50/50 custody. I just did my taxes (did not send in to CRA). But when I file regularly, I would owe $4. But if I get to claim child, I would receive $2400 back. (estimates)
  • Should I notify CRA?
  • Should I just file my return indicating a child being claimed and open up a can of worms with ex?
  • Is it beneficial for me to claim daughter on taxes in the long run? (pay more money to child care monthly)
  • Should I apply for child care subsidy for my daughter for the 50% time with me?
I would presume my ex generates more than $5000 a year with: tax refund, child support, tax receipts, tax benefits etc. Meanwhile my 50% custody provides me with no child benefits for my daughter and I.

Any info or questions answer would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins56 View Post
(The mediator basically said to keep this info to ourselves to keep child care costs down)
A mediator should not be counselling you to commit fraud, no matter how well-meaning.
Closed Thread