Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Rioe's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,248
Rioe will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolita123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
I will never understand why new partners look for ways to reduce their husbands CS
Because sometimes in life the situation changes... whether it's a loss of a job, sickness or a new dependant sometimes things change that have an impact on the family financially... and having a child live with us full time would mean that we would need a bigger house cause at this moment, we only have 3 bedrooms... which would not work to have a total of 5 kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolita123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
... I mean I get it, it sucks having a large chunk of your household income going towards another household but that’s what happens when you marry someone with children. There shouldn’t be any “his” and “mine” all children should be “ours”...
I agree... if you read the post below it states the total opposite.. that my dad and MY children are MY responsibility... We live together so to me everyone under that roof is OUR responsibility...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolita123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
at least that’s the way I see these situations. Remember none of the children asked for this to be their lives
And that is why we try to make it the best that we can for them and even if really money is tight because of the large amount of support, we still make a budget for him and his kids to do something special like going away for an evening for example...
Most times in life, you CONTROL the situation. When you lose your job, is it due to your own actions? If it was out of your control, then you get your CS lowered appropriately and you search for a new job.

If you get ill, and can't work, same deal, get sick leave, get disability, get your CS adjusted to match your new income.

Don't take on a new dependent (remarry, have more kids, care for an elderly parent, etc) without planning on how to afford it.

News flash - not all kids have to have their own bedroom.

You love this guy, and that means supporting him through ALL his problems, including possibly making room for his kid #1. But kids #2 and #3 are innocent in all this.

Maybe it's time to look at that budget again. If they see their dad not being there for their half-sister, they're going to start wondering if he'll fail to be there for them when they need him.

Adjusting the budget, making sure CS is in line with current income, those are measures you take BEFORE trying for undue hardship. You can search around here, but undue hardship is HARD. You pretty much have to be still about to lose the house after trimming ALL the frivolities like the whole entertainment budget, cable, dinners out, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,049
Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough
Default

[QUOTE=Lolita123;225616]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
I agree with this... I have always wanted a large family, at least 4-5 kids but when I married my husband I knew that would be far fetched... I have two amazing step children who are 12 and 9, I knew his responsibilities towards them when I married him... they live with their mother so he pays full CS... we just had our first child together 3 weeks ago... I realize this may be my only biological child because by the time I would want to have another his son would be getting close to post secondary, plus the children have other expenses such as sports, etc. So I have come to terms that my “large family” actually consists of two step and one biological child but I have three children and I am okay with that.

I will never understand why new partners look for ways to reduce their husbands CS Because sometimes in life the situation changes... whether it's a loss of a job, sickness or a new dependant sometimes things change that have an impact on the family financially... and having a child live with us full time would mean that we would need a bigger house cause at this moment, we only have 3 bedrooms... which would not work to have a total of 5 kids ... I mean I get it, it sucks having a large chunk of your household income going towards another household but that’s what happens when you marry someone with children. There shouldn’t be any “his” and “mine” all children should be “ours”... I agree... if you read the post below it states the total opposite.. that my dad and MY children are MY responsibility... We live together so to me everyone under that roof is OUR responsibility...

at least that’s the way I see these situations. Remember none of the children asked for this to be their lives And that is why we try to make it the best that we can for them and even if really money is tight because of the large amount of support, we still make a budget for him and his kids to do something special like going away for an evening for example...


That’s along the lines of what I expected your response to be. Truth is, his CS will not be reduced if kid#1 comes to live with you. Stop looking for a way to reduce his responsibilities and start looking for ways to make this work.

Honestly in the past 8 years I have been with my husband there have been times we didn’t have money for gas or bills and had to turn to my parents but guess what? We never missed one of his CS payments. That was always paid because those are his children.

Do you have cable? Internet? Cell phone? Do you go out at all? Basically if you pay anything above and beyond the absolute basics he will not qualify for undue hardship. It’s not about him making less than her or having less disposable income, undue hardship means you are about to lose your house. It’s very hard to prove and research would show you that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 19
Lolita123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Nope nope nope nope and nope.

He has three kids period.

He is responsible for those three kids period.

If YOU have a problem with it then YOU should not have gotten involved with him. And if YOU wanted to stay with him then YOU need to stop trying to get HIM out of HIS obligations. PERIOD!

My partner has lost his job, run out of EI, dropped his savings and still paid his child support and s7. Why? Because he has an obligation to his kids.

Your partner needs to deal with his problems. Will it be tight? Probably but others survive on less. I grew up in a three bedroom townhouse with five siblings. We lived on welfare. We survived.
Well... that is your point of view.. that I am trying to get him out of paying for his kids... but there are instances in the law that does permit an adjustment in CS based on the situation of both parties.. and one of them is a lower household income... and that IS the case...

Also, your comment about my 3 bedroom.. I have no problem.. but the MOM 2 does... the 14 year old doesn't come over often since she doesn't like to share a room.. and the MOM 2 well she's not comfortable with the kids sharing rooms and keeps saying that if he cannot provide proper accommodation for the kids (to her standards) that she may go to court and push that kids don't get overnights unless they have proper accommodation... that is the situation with only 4 kids most of the time... so can you imagine if we have the 14 year old living with us... I know that really she can't do anything about the fact that we have to have kids share room.. but it's just to show you what we have to deal with... amongst other things..
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 19
Lolita123 is on a distinguished road
Default

the MOM 2 has a problem with the 3 bedroom.. and the 14 year old says she doesn't come often because she doesn't like to share her room...

I have no problem with it.. but there are mechanism in the law to make sure that if a situation that arises that was not foreseen causes undue hardship if the full table is awarded, well if that is the situation why does someone get blamed for looking at that option...
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 19
Lolita123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
Most times in life, you CONTROL the situation. When you lose your job, is it due to your own actions? If it was out of your control, then you get your CS lowered appropriately and you search for a new job.

If you get ill, and can't work, same deal, get sick leave, get disability, get your CS adjusted to match your new income.

Don't take on a new dependent (remarry, have more kids, care for an elderly parent, etc) without planning on how to afford it.

News flash - not all kids have to have their own bedroom.

You love this guy, and that means supporting him through ALL his problems, including possibly making room for his kid #1. But kids #2 and #3 are innocent in all this.

Maybe it's time to look at that budget again. If they see their dad not being there for their half-sister, they're going to start wondering if he'll fail to be there for them when they need him.

Adjusting the budget, making sure CS is in line with current income, those are measures you take BEFORE trying for undue hardship. You can search around here, but undue hardship is HARD. You pretty much have to be still about to lose the house after trimming ALL the frivolities like the whole entertainment budget, cable, dinners out, etc.
trust me the budget is very tight.. we don't go to restaurants, we don't have any savings ... I use price match for my groceries.. I have 2 jobs.. he doesn't because it's not worth it since it would not help our budget but only increase the CS that the MOM 2 gets... and let me tell you that it's NOT going to the kids.. so many issues of holes in the shoes.. UNDER the shoe where you see the socks!!! holes in the shirts... clothes too small... anyways... all that to say that I feel like payors many times are expected to pay even when they have nothing left to live... how many times do you hear stories about father living with roommates and all or in small 1 bedroom apartments because they pay pretty much all of their pay in child support... cause if we would not be together.. really that is all he could afford...
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,012
rockscan will become famous soon enough
Default

His ex cannot deny him access to his kids. She can go to court to try but it wont happen. And if shes that difficult then good luck with your child support reduction because he wont succeed and will more than likely pay costs.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 19
Lolita123 is on a distinguished road
Default

[QUOTE=Berner_Faith;225621]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolita123 View Post



That’s along the lines of what I expected your response to be. Truth is, his CS will not be reduced if kid#1 comes to live with you. Stop looking for a way to reduce his responsibilities and start looking for ways to make this work.

Honestly in the past 8 years I have been with my husband there have been times we didn’t have money for gas or bills and had to turn to my parents but guess what? We never missed one of his CS payments. That was always paid because those are his children.

Do you have cable? Internet? Cell phone? Do you go out at all? Basically if you pay anything above and beyond the absolute basics he will not qualify for undue hardship. It’s not about him making less than her or having less disposable income, undue hardship means you are about to lose your house. It’s very hard to prove and research would show you that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well lucky for you, you had family to turn to.. I don't... and one of them I take care of... I would be a horrible person to not take care of my father yet, I am a horrible person to take care of him and trying to Steal money from CS for his kids... that is ridiculous.. Cell phone, I have one and it's provided by work... Cable... no.. we just have internet and we watch all TV and all on that... Also, it's for my 2nd job which I work from home so I need that to earn an extra income ... I don't even have a home phone... and trust me.. if this would go to court and the judge would say no it does not qualify.. we will pay... and I am not saying that the day after the daughter would move in we would file.. I am saying that if it does get to a point that we can't make it work... what is the option... my question was more what was the reasons to go and seek a lower CS based on undue hardship... People assume that the goal is to pay the EX the less money possible... and it's not... trust me... we pay more than our fair share... even things that are above and beyond the child support we help pay... even if really it should be the mom that pays for those things... but we do because they are our kids.. anyways... this post was not a debate.. and people are really quick on assuming the worse...
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 19
Lolita123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
His ex cannot deny him access to his kids. She can go to court to try but it wont happen. And if shes that difficult then good luck with your child support reduction because he wont succeed and will more than likely pay costs.
perhaps not deny access but she can for sure make them not want to come over... she's great at making things up... and make them 'stay' like taking them to a special place and all that we can't afford.. and being that young well they do.. and then they call their dad and say that they don't want to make him feel bad but they would really like to go with mommy but that means that they can't come over for the weekend...

Dad not wanting to put the kids in a bad place says that he totally gets it.. loves them still.. and it's all ok...

she pulls that stunt once in a while when she's not happy about something... last time, was because he asked to change a evening access to the following day cause he had to work that evening on an emergency at work...
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 07:41 PM
arabian's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,968
arabian will become famous soon enough
Default

This sounds like a truly pitiful situation.

Dad shouldn't work a second job???.... IMO he should work 3 jobs... whatever it takes to provide a decent standard of living for all these children he has created.

... writing is on the wall though... wonder how long till someone else gets pregnant.

Jeasus... this sounds like a shit-show
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2017, 08:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 19
Lolita123 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
This sounds like a truly pitiful situation.

Dad shouldn't work a second job???.... IMO he should work 3 jobs... whatever it takes to provide a decent standard of living for all these children he has created.

... writing is on the wall though... wonder how long till someone else gets pregnant.

Jeasus... this sounds like a shit-show
Of course working 3 jobs so the mom gets even more supports when she makes about 80,000 gross a year considering all the mom taxable income she gets from gov and cs... and being taxed on 34,000... yet the father works extra time to supplement his income to be able to do stuff with his kids on his time but nope... that would also go to the mom... ... how is this fair... the issue is not the amount of cs it's the fact that even when a parent decide to take matter into their own hands to generate more income the other one benefits from it ... yet if the other parent who has custody gets a job at 140,000 a year and the dad 95,000 well he will still be expected to pay the same amount since the income of the custodial parent is not taken into consideration at all... how is that fair.? The custodial parent can decide to take matter into their own hand and make more money ...and go on trips every month if they want yet the other parent if they make 1000 extra in a year well that custodial parent will make sure that the income is adjusted for child support purposes ... does that make sense to you ... it should be that the main job of the parent is considered but what ever they decide to take on after the divorce as a second or third job should not count..

And no worries dear... we are both fixed and ...so I guess that you are saying that everyone who had children with two different moms ..1 young add stupid but still stepped up...and then a marriage of 10 years with 2 children and they got cheated on should not get involved with anyone else ? Or only with people with no kids ?

I have 2 kids from the same father who cheated on me over and over again ... this man is a good man and has always been there for his kid...

Those children have a great standard of living ...at their moms... because the way the guidelines are made...look the way Quebec does it ..makes way more sense... both parent are taken into the equation and parenting time even less than 40% is considered into the equationequation-
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
change in situation, child support, undue hardship


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This isnt getting any easier UserName100 Divorce & Family Law 7 02-24-2016 11:34 AM
Change in Child Support SuzieSunshine Financial Issues 45 04-17-2015 02:13 PM
Moving With A Child - Case Law - Habitual Residence Tayken Divorce & Family Law 16 07-30-2014 10:56 PM
cs and s7 obligations 06nomad Divorce & Family Law 5 05-11-2011 05:46 PM
Joint Effort to Change Table Amounts of CS 350_dad Political Issues 43 12-18-2009 02:01 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 AM.