Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM

beentaken16 is on a distinguished road
Default Can I still get Spousal Support?

My ex and I signed an uncontested divorce on June 30, 2009, after being married for 18 years. I took a small lump sum payment and he's not paying any spousal support. I've since found out that he lowballed everything on his statement of assets.
While we were married, I worked a part-time job and also worked for my ex (he's self employed) without a salary. I'm in my 50's, untrained and unable to find a job and I'm struggling to start my own business.

My question is, can I still go after my ex for spousal support and if so, how do I proceed? I can't afford a lawyer.

Thanks for any help offered.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

You can try to reopen the payout based on the fradulent information, but you would have to be able to prove it concretely, and even then it may not be successful. I believe you are past the normal statue of limitations for this kind of thing, but others would know better.

Your chances of getting spousal support NOW are slim, as they are meant to make you self sufficient and "top you up" to your prior standard of living. As it's been almost 2 years and you have been able to support yourself during that time, you'd have a bugger of a time proving any entitlement after the fact.

What do you currently make? If it's LESS than full time hours at minimum wage, then guess what? You are NOT doing everything you can to support yourself.

If you can prove the falsification of the assets, you MIGHT have a case, but you should really try and pull the money together for a consult with an experienced attorney. Yours it NOT a normal situation, and it very well may cost you MUCH more to pursue it that you would stand to gain.