Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 04:41 PM

gooddadgoingmad is on a distinguished road
Default Calculating NDI

I am trying to figure out a way that I can get an approximate idea of what my personal NDI is. I realize that one would need to avail of a computer program to do it as the lawyers would, but I'm trying to simply get a rough idea.

I can start, I suppose, by dividing my annual salary by 12 to get the gross monthly amount, but what other deductions can I take from there? By doing this I have gross $8000/month. But I also lose $1700 just in federal tax alone! I am also paying $808 in child support...which is soon going up. What other deductions can I start to make to get to a workable number on a monthly basis. I want to get to that number so that I can start to see, with my monthly expenses, just how much I actually have left over.

Sorry, I know...complicated! Just wondering if anyone else has done this to get a rough idea of things?

Thanks folks!
GDGM
Old 03-30-2006, 05:06 PM

So I'm here looking at my bi-weekly paystub...and I'm thinking that the more accurate way of calculating my monthly disposable income would be by actually doing what payroll does on my paystub, and multiplying my pay hourly by the number of hours I work. Funny enough, by doing this, I actually receive, monthly, gross $7400 instead of the original $8000/month.

Hmmm

Do they take into consideration things like union dues ( I pay $102/month)?
How about payroll tax ( I'm paying $70/month for that)

All of these things add up!

I hate math...

GDGM
Old 03-30-2006, 05:12 PM

Jenny is on a distinguished road

If you are paid monthly you are getting 12 paycheques a year- biweekly 26 so that would account for the difference( 7400vs 8000) Some months you get 3 cheques.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:23 PM

Ha! Thanks Jenny...I completely forgot about that!

As they say in Newfoundland, I'm "stunned"

GDGM
Old 03-30-2006, 05:24 PM

DadofTwoGirls is on a distinguished road

There are alot of expenses to consider:

Federal tax
EI
CPP
your own pension contributions, if any or RRSP contributions
Health insurance
Life insurance
Union dues

child care
child support
spousal support
mortgage payment
car payment
property taxes

And the list goes on.

It depends on what your objective is to determine what expenses you are going to include (or subtract from) your gross monthly income.

Have a look at http://www.ottawamediation.com/budget.html for a comprehensive list of expenses. You probably won't miss much if you follow the Financial Statement link.

Good luck! Lots of fun!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

GDGM,

Fill out a Financial Statement & a Net Family Property Statement form, (they are available on the gov. web site). You will have to do this for your lawyer anyway, so start now. You will get a good picture of your finances and also be ready for when your lawyer asks for this. Always remember to have as much back documents as possible.
Closed Thread