Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 PM

bg78 is on a distinguished road
Default Am I the Applicant or the Respondent?

Hi, just have a quick question. I am filling out court papers, a response to motion to change.
I took my ex to court years ago, so I was the applicant. I just received a motion to change support from him, and I am responding so am I now the respondent or do I stay listed as the applicant?

On his motion it states me as the applicant, but his papers make no sense, have errors and are unsigned by him, so I dont solely want to go by what he has put.

Any help would be appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:21 AM

NoahsDaddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg78 View Post
Hi, just have a quick question. I am filling out court papers, a response to motion to change.
I took my ex to court years ago, so I was the applicant. I just received a motion to change support from him, and I am responding so am I now the respondent or do I stay listed as the applicant?

On his motion it states me as the applicant, but his papers make no sense, have errors and are unsigned by him, so I dont solely want to go by what he has put.

Any help would be appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance.
He is applying for the motion to change and served you with the papers, right? Whowever serves the papers is usually the applicant tand the person who is responding is the respondent.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM

independentgal is on a distinguished road

In this family law matter between your ex and yourself, you will ALWAYS be the same thing. You are the Applicant because you commenced the action/application. This is a motion to be heard in that action/application therefore you are still the Applicant.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 AM

#1StepMom is on a distinguished road

Independentgal is correct. The very first court papers filed, even it if was years ago, decide who's the applicant and who's the respondent. Since you filed the court papers years ago, you were the applicant then, and you will always be the applicant... even if your ex begins a new motion and you are only responding. You will always be the applicant when serving or being served with documents pertaining to the case between you and your ex.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 AM

bg78 is on a distinguished road

Lifesavers!!!! thank you soo much!!!!
Closed Thread