Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,838
stripes is on a distinguished road
Default All Kid's medical costs on my benefits - should I be concerned?

Just heard from my ex who wants a copy of my health benefits card (for medical benefits through work, not provincial health care card) so he can have service providers bill my insurance directly for services provided to Kid (he takes Kid for a couple of "alternative" treatments, which is fine with me).

What I'm wondering is why he needs my insurance information now. Kid is also covered under his plan (we have the same employer and exactly the same benefits package), and in the past he's put Kid through on his own benefits, not mine. I have no problem with using my benefits for Kid, but I'm a little wary as to why he wants to use my benefits when he's taking Kid for the treatments and his benefits cover them as well.

(There may be nothing at all to be concerned about here, but he's prone to trying to pull off dodgy maneuvers involving money - I just can't decide if this is a dodgy maneuver).

Any ideas as to why one parent would want to use the other parent's benefits for Kid? And would it be a bad idea to send him a photocopy of my benefit card?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2015, 01:33 PM
blinkandimgone's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 5,227
blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about
Default

Typically kids are covered under both parents. If one parent is primary then it goes through theirs and then yours. If it's an equal split and there is no primary than it goes first through the insurance of the parent whose birthday comes earlier I'm the year, then the other.

This way if one parents insurance covers 80%, the other parents insurance covers the remaining 20% and the kids are 100% covered up to the maximum allowance of both combined benefits. This is a good thing as it reduces the amount of section 7 expenses.

Many insurance companies now give you a couple of cards to present at time of service so they can be insurance directly, if you have an extra card you can give it to the ex to use for the kids services and it avoids a lot of paperwork to make the claims if the service provider can bill directly.

Last edited by blinkandimgone; 10-13-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,838
stripes is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks Blink - We've used the first-birthday system for major expenses like glasses in the past (where one parent's coverage doesn't cover the whole cost), but not for smaller things, which is why this raised suspicion. I have no problem putting all Kid's claims, large and small, on my benefits, but from experience, whenever ex says "you have to do this" or "I need you to do that", there's often something else going on that he's not telling me about. However, I may just be getting paranoid.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:17 PM
blinkandimgone's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 5,227
blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about
Default

You're welcome!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanting to move kids mr.mom Divorce & Family Law 5 01-01-2013 01:48 PM
new here...pls be gentle! :) caro46 Introductions 9 08-11-2011 03:49 PM
Medical benefits? Kennzer Divorce Support 6 07-03-2011 09:56 PM
Medical Insurance Benefits oakville69 Divorce & Family Law 7 07-21-2010 12:27 AM
Worried he's going to take the kids again.... jlalex Parenting Issues 4 06-22-2006 07:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.