Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5
Troubled is on a distinguished road
Default 1 Simple Question

1 Simple Question...(ok, maybe 2)

Just broke up with my ex... dated 4 years, lived together for 2 (so not common-law). Obviously not married.

Both our names are on the purchase agreement for our house, she contributed 10% to the $110,000 down payment, I contributed the remaining 90%.

1. If we sell the house...is she entitled to half? or just what she put in?

2. If she agrees to let me buy her out...do I have to pay 1/2 of what the house is currently valued at?
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 205
sasha1 is on a distinguished road
Default

http://www.common-law-separation-canada.com/

Check out that link; there's a lot of information there that will help you. Assuming that you did not have a separation agreement in place? "Both names on the purchase agreement".. What's on the title and the mortgage? When was the home purchased, relative to the relationship's duration?
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5
Troubled is on a distinguished road
Default

I believe everything has both our names on it (title, mortgage,etc)...and the house was purchased in mid-Dec '05, we separated in April '06 (so we only lived in the house for 4 months).

We also live in Ontario (if that helps)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,943
logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity
Default

Regardless of what happens, since the house is owned by Joint parties, the house is valued at the separation date.

If one party decides to by the other out, real estate fees for deposing of the home at a subsequent date down the road are excluded along with closing costs.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.