Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 PM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

If she indicates that she wishes to breastfeed, let her. It's in the best interests of the child, HOWEVER indicate IN WRITING that this is an INTERIM and TEMPORARY consent to ensure the child gets the best start in life and you want a 50-50 shared parenting arrangement as soon as the child is weaned. (ladies correct me here, usually like 6 months right? when they can start having some solids)

Document EVERYTHING, agree to NOTHING verbally that you don't immediately confirm with an email followup.

Check with your local vital stats office regarding the name thing if you wish. Send her an email indicating your wishes to be included on the birth certificate and to have the name hyphenated at the very least.

Your local Red Cross organization usually can offer infant CPR courses. Sign up and take them. Look for any parenting classes you can find and take those too. (Even if they refuse you because you are a single father, simply document the fact that you tried)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:56 PM

ONdad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBDad View Post
Look for any parenting classes you can find and take those too. (Even if they refuse you because you are a single father, simply document the fact that you tried)
If anyone denies you the opportunity to take any classes, claim discrimination (that's exactly what it is) and call the Ontario Ombudsperson and the media.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Motorizer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONdad View Post
If anyone denies you the opportunity to take any classes, claim discrimination (that's exactly what it is) and call the Ontario Ombudsperson and the media.
Like I said, I'm in Alberta, but I'm sure there is a similar office here.
Thanks everybody. I'm scared shitless, but at least I have a few irons in the fire. I don't think she will co-operate, but I'm gonna try my damndest.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorizer View Post
Like I said, I'm in Alberta, but I'm sure there is a similar office here.
Thanks everybody. I'm scared shitless, but at least I have a few irons in the fire. I don't think she will co-operate, but I'm gonna try my damndest.
someone once said ... be prepared not scared .... A good place to start is the Alberta Justice Site:

Alberta Courts > Provincial Court > Family Justice Services > Family Law Act
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 PM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorizer View Post
I don't think she will co-operate..., but I'm gonna try my damndest.
Oh oh, sounds a bit confrontational...maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Until the child is born, I think the only things you can do 'with her' are to be unintrusively supportive in whatever way you can, and let her know of your intentions and preparations to be a fully involved co-parent. Just keep in regular, low-key (but non-harassing) contact, not forcing anything. You must know her triggers, so don't push them - be smart. Then hopefully after the child is born, it doesn't all blow up (and of course you will be prepared if it does).

Avoid visiting her on her turf ... abuse/harassment allegations are very easy to generate out of the littlest thing.

Last edited by dinkyface; 04-27-2010 at 10:38 PM.