Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 05:29 PM

independentgal is on a distinguished road
Default Permission to travel form-who pays for notarizing?

I just wanted some opinions about who you think should prepare and arrange for notarization of the permission to travel document that two children will require to travel to a south american country without either parent(just one grandparent). Also, who should be responsible for the cost of notarizing the document at a notary public/lawyer?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:03 PM

today is on a distinguished road

I took my kids away recently and I paid, thinking the parent bringing the children would pay. Never occured to me otherwise.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:22 PM

independentgal is on a distinguished road

If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost for the document to be notarized?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:38 AM

I paid $85.00 two notorized copies, ver easy very fast, no problem.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:33 AM

first timer is on a distinguished road

In my case the travelling parent pays.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

If I'm taking them on a trip, the expenses are mine, aren't they?
Old 12-21-2009, 07:51 PM

#1StepMom is on a distinguished road

The parent who is taking the children on the trip is responsible for the costs of any documents required for the trip, if those documents aren't already available (e.g., passports, visas, etc.)

With regards to a travel consent... from my personal experience, you don't need to have it notarized. (At least that's how it was explained to us in court.) As long as you have the original copy, signed by the parent "staying behind" and witnessed, there is no need to have it notarized. All travel consents we've provided were always just signed and witnessed, and same with the ones we were provided with. No stamps necessary.

Then again, it also states in our court order that each party shall always sign any travel consents requested by the other party to travel with the child.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 AM

billiechic is on a distinguished road

make sure you send a letter yourself, as they are travelling with grandparents. Also, you may want to include your contact info.

When I was 12 we were travelling with my dad (who is a much older parent) The US Customs did not beleive he was our dad, despite the documents he carried, and we spent 4 hours while they searched the vehicle, trailer, were each interviewed and they contacted my mom. It was all a big waste of time, but they were thorough.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 PM

DADCANTWIN is on a distinguished road

Ok so my EX is taking the kids away on March Break and is demanding that I go to my lawyer and get her a notarized letter. Now in our sep. agreement it states that permission shall be granted as well as the notarized letter. However, it does not state who shall pay for this. Am I to pay for this every time she decides to cross the border?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 PM

I would suggest she hurry over to her lawyer for the letter otherwise she may not be able to travel with the kids. The travelling parent would be repsonsible for the expense and the other to simply meet at lawyers and sign approval.
Closed Thread