Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2010, 06:27 AM

Elvis is on a distinguished road
Default How long can separation anxiety last in children?

How long can it take a 3 1/2 years old child to outgrow the separation anxiety. In my case it started 6 months ago and the child prefers the mom and I know it is normal because I know people who are still married and their toddler avoids and even says she hates one parents but I wonder how long can it last. Some say a few months others say couple years or more.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:07 AM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Separation Anxiety in Children: Easing Separation Anxiety Disorder

My youngest had seperation anxiety with people outside of family. The kids would often stay with my parents for the weekend and she was fine with that. She didn't make it through 9/10 sleepovers at friends' places until a coule of years ago and still occassionally stresses out if she goes to her dad's place for the weekend. I would have to say the worst is out of town sleepovers with friends, she always wants to go but gets upset when she's actually there and when she gets back says she doesn't want to go again ( until next time! ) She's 11 now.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:07 AM

billiechic is on a distinguished road

My best friend in high school had it, and she was 16! It totally depends on the child and the situation. If you are both reassuring your child, then hopefully it will pass soon.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:08 PM

sufferer is on a distinguished road

My seven year old could stay at her Aunt's for a week without me.She started it when she was 3 and absolutely no problem.On the otherside my five year old gets anxious if he don't see me around him.Though he is fine with the access visits because of his sister.
It depends upon child to child .With the other parent cooperation your child will pass through it
Old 07-05-2010, 07:37 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

If separation anxiety is equivalent to change...It could last a lifetime.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:02 PM

tugofwar is on a distinguished road

So, how do you communicate separation anxiety to your uncooperative ex? Ex seems to think it's all just about him or something he's doing and doesn't fully understand what's going on. And sorry, I have a hard time trying to explain it cause I really don't understand what's going on with our child. It seems to be getting worse instead of better
Any recommendations to a third party to get involved to try to address what's going on? I can only think of family doctor off the top of my head. Anyone else that could help? If I ask questions or let him know what's happening, he just blows up, he doesn't understand and I don't think Im the right person to try to explain it
Closed Thread