Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future
Default Home Daycares - Inquest Results

Hi All,

Often people come to this site with information regarding unlicensed home daycares. It will be interesting to see what impact the recommendations of the following inquest will have on the operation of unlicensed home daycares in Ontario.

Recently an inquest has published findings in the unfortunate death of a minor child and changes that should be made to the Day Nurseries Act:

Tighten rules for home daycares, inquest jury recommends
Coroner's jury had been deliberating since Tuesday
CBC News Posted: Dec 6, 2012

Tighten rules for home daycares, inquest jury recommends - Ottawa - CBC News

(my emphasis added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC
The jury made a number of recommendations concerning unlicensed day cares, including that the ratio of adults to children should be same as for licensed daycares. Licensed home daycare providers can only have five children, including their own children, in the home.

The jury also recommended that all daycares, regardless of license, be registered, and that the Day Nurseries Act be amended to allow for unannounced safety inspections of registered daycares.

The jury also recommended private daycare providers be certified as trained and that there be no pools at home-based daycares. The Ministry of Education director for eastern Ontario had already prohibited pools in licensed home day cares in the region following a 2011 coroner's report on drownings in the province.

Other recommendations include:

- Asking the Ministry of Education to provide more public information on differences between home-based daycares and regulated daycares.

- Requiring municipalities to enact pool enclosure bylaws.

- Ensuring pool gates be self-locking, and establishing an inspection process to make sure.

- Requiring backyard pools to be supervised at all times when a child is in the pool.

- Asking realtors to distribute pool safety info to homebuyers buying homes with pools.

The recommendations of the inquest jury are not binding.
Hopefully the government will consider the recommendations made. For those going through separation and divorce the issues of "home daycare providers" continually comes up before the courts and on this forum.

This is why I always recommend when posters inquire about the care of their children, home day cares and the complexities involved with these services to seek out licensed, registered and properly managed day care services for the children.

Day cares are an incredibly complex and challenging decision for parents living together to make. Less they be parents who are parenting their children either separate and apart or after the divorce order is issued.

Not to say all home day cares are "bad" but, that parents who are living separate and apart need to really have good communications and reduced conflict to insure their children are being placed in safe environments.

Tayken
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

Yes unfortunately daycares do get caught up in the drama of divorce, pick sides and can even become negative advocates for people with serious problems.

We still don't know what lies the daycare told that made me lose access to the kids for 7 months when THEY were the ones who were responsible for the child when he was injured badly enough to be admitted to the hospital. They lied to the police, to CAS, and prompted closed their unlicensed home daycare and moved away after deliberately misleading the authorities into believing the parents were abusive or neglectful of the children.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 AM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingForFamily View Post
Yes unfortunately daycares do get caught up in the drama of divorce, pick sides and can even become negative advocates for people with serious problems.

We still don't know what lies the daycare told that made me lose access to the kids for 7 months when THEY were the ones who were responsible for the child when he was injured badly enough to be admitted to the hospital. They lied to the police, to CAS, and prompted closed their unlicensed home daycare and moved away after deliberately misleading the authorities into believing the parents were abusive or neglectful of the children.
If your matter proceeds unfortunately to trial this daycare "worker" should be called to affirm to the truth and testify in accordance with the Court of Justice Act, Family Law Rules as a witness be properly cross examined.

Good Luck!
Tayken
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

The matter was closed after 7 months. In the end my criminal lawyer suggested I undergo a psychological risk assessment to provide evidence I was not the monster the police were led to believe I was by my ex and the daycare worker. It was expensive and time consuming but worth it. It was a glowing report that mostly reflected that I was under enormous stress, depression and anxiety all caused by their investigation and losing access to the children, and that the forensic psychologist had absolutely no concerns about me being a risk to anyone.

CAS accepted the evidence and closed the case and I was reunited with the children after 7 months. The police on the other hand did not seem to care about this evidence, remained suspicious of me, though no charges were ever laid. The police themselves were the worst individuals in this case. They did not accept the physical evidence of the crime (bloody diaper from the daycare centre) and resorted to witch hunts and administering lie detectors to almost a dozen people, most of whom were in the process of divorcing and had nothing good to say about each other.

I have dealt with many lawyers going through separation and divorce, and although they have a bad reputation, I did not find any lawyers to be nearly as dishonest, manipulative and deceitful as the Ottawa Police Department. We were lied to, bullied, harassed and outright threatened by the members of the police when it was OUR CHILD that was the victim of an injury at the daycare, and we were victimized again and again by the police and CAS while the daycare was left alone.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM

FaithandMorals is an unknown quantity at this point

It should also be noted that there is a subtle confusion between some licensed and unlicensed home daycares.

There are big chains (for profit and not for profit) that definitely do operate with a licence under the Day Nurseries Act.

There are also totally unlicensed babysitters aka home daycares that are not regulated by the Day Nurseries Act.

And, there is a third and confusing class of caregivers. These are home daycares that operate under the umbrella of one of the big chains. They will say they are 'licenced' under the chain which leads people to believe these carefivers are licenced under the Day Nurseries Act. They are not licenced under the Day Nurseries Act! Instead they have receive a monthly visit from a licenced supervisor that works for the big chain. Other than this, the big chain just helps these operators with payment.

It would be much clearer if the big chains called this third group 'approved' by them.

The best caregivers are R.E.C.E. (or equivalent) as they have a professional body governing them and have extensive training. Others are just babysitters imo.
Closed Thread