Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 PM

tugofwar is on a distinguished road
Default communication book

I was wanting to learn more about how to start a communication book with the ex. I know someone mentioned make sure to number the pages, what should I add? Where do I start? What kind of things to we need to add to the book? What should it contain? How successful is it?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Staples or other stationary store have log books with numbered pages. Some are reasonably priced. Walmart may also have similar as well.

What to add - Anything concerning your child. Special Diet if applicable..medication requirements ...info regarding all apts, sleep schedule... List is endless. One idea is to summarize your child's events weekly in point form.

Hopefully, the other parent will participate in the communication book.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 PM

Currently our child is with the other parent only for a few hours each week so that might be their excuse to say there's nothing to write but I have no idea what else to do as there is no communicate right now between parents. Everyone just tells me take the child and leave as the ex can't understand not to discuss other matters during drop off and pick ups.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Tug,

Says lots when they don't make entries concerning young children. Especially when it comes to medication needs/schedule etc. What would the entries "show" about your character.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 PM

sufferer is on a distinguished road
Default Hi TUG

I would advise to maintain a photocopy of the communication book.I had a log book for 2+ years and suddenly 6 weeks before the court date the ex refused to give it back.It had all the proofs that I never denied acess and always encouraged more time which he declined stating various reasons.Now he puts in the court papers that I have a history of abusing his access BUt thankgod I have a photocopy of each and every page
Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM

Nadia is on a distinguished road

Hi Tug

We initially used a communication book that went back and forth with both children. The information sharing was primarily on my side. I would keep it brief and document last feeding for the baby etc. But I didn't get very much information about the children from the Ex. He instead used the Communication Book to vent his bitterness and unhappiness about everything that was unrelated to the children's needs.

Then we went though a period without the use of a communication book.

We are now trying to resume some sort of communication regarding the children between the two homes using a check box system.
Each parent simply needs to tick the boxes that apply. The information requested is no different to what you would get at a daycare. For example, any accidents, illnesses, fever etc, wherther medical treatment was sought (Yes/No), who were they seen by.

So far ex has refused to respond to proposal. But I really think there needs to be some basic information that needs to be exchanged regarding the children. What if the child is ill and gets worse, you want to be able to give the physician a complete history of when they started feeling unwell etc.

The use of a communication book depends all on your individual circumstances. I think parents of small children will find it very useful if used correctly. But as an earlier post indicated always keep a photocopy of each page as the book transfers from one home to the other.

Nadia

Last edited by Nadia; 07-16-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 PM

HappyMomma is on a distinguished road

My ex and I had a communication book for a while and it was fantastic. It was terrific for communicating upcoming school outings or birthday parties or just writing down fun things the kids said or did.

Unfortunately, my ex got angry one day and it went 'missing'. My attempts to restart it have failed.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:01 PM

It seems he's not interested in emailing me back with any matters I have recently sent regarding our child, so now there is absolutely NO communication right now....... no response to my suggestion to mediation.
How is this going to help him to get joint custody? I think he's just trying to prove that Im not co-operating with him so that's why I shouldn't keep sole custody.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:25 PM

#1StepMom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofwar View Post
It seems he's not interested in emailing me back with any matters I have recently sent regarding our child, so now there is absolutely NO communication right now....... no response to my suggestion to mediation.
How is this going to help him to get joint custody? I think he's just trying to prove that Im not co-operating with him so that's why I shouldn't keep sole custody.
It's not going to help him, that's for sure. You have tried, and that's evident. Email is great... and even the judge at our last court date told us that email is preferred in this day and age, or even text messaging. A communication book can too easily "go missing" and it's not the best idea to send it back and forth once the child is old enough to read the entries.

As long as you send informative emails and ask for a response, and follow up a few days if no response is needed asking when you can expect a response, it will show that you are trying to communicate. If there is a "read receipt" feature on your email, put it to work, this way, you will know whether or not the email was even opened by your ex.

I would suggest you set up a special email account just for this purpose.

If your ex won't co-operate, there is nothing you can do. Just keep him informed (to show your willingness to co-parent and good parenting on your part) via email and leave it at that.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Im just being alittle lazy i know i read it somewhere, but can someone offer me some book recommendations regarding child being raised in two different houses,different parenting styles, how to deal with uncooperative parent, how to deal with it? Or any other single parent forums other than this one?
Thanks!
Closed Thread