Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2017, 03:08 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinton View Post
You are not obliged to let her know of your address as access non custodial parent.
Non-custodial parents should always provide their residential address. There are many reasons why, but the biggest being that refusing to give something so trivial makes one look uncooperative, unreasonable and almost certainly puts them in a bad light should it arrive in court.

Each parent has the right to know where the other parent resides unless there is a restraining order preventing one from having such info.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 AM

tunnelight has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDad View Post
Non-custodial parents should always provide their residential address. There are many reasons why, but the biggest being that refusing to give something so trivial makes one look uncooperative, unreasonable and almost certainly puts them in a bad light should it arrive in court.

Each parent has the right to know where the other parent resides unless there is a restraining order preventing one from having such info.
If they have sole custody, then chances are the court has found them to be uncooperative anyways. giving their address isn't going to give the non custodial parent joint custody all of a sudden.

Unless their order specifically states they must share address, then they can't be found in contempt.

I agree with T however, if they are just going to court, then they should both be sharing information to avoid giving the other parent any ammunition .
Old 11-16-2017, 01:59 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Not giving your residential address can lead to multiple complications, the worst being the ex denying parenting time on the basis that they do not have sufficient knowledge of the child's location or proper contact details in case of emergency. Should the ex do that the judge would likely come down on both parents for being morons and fostering this gong show that is now in court.

Simply provide the address. It is simple and there are absolutely ZERO reasons why it shouldn't be provided. And unless the non-custodial parent wants to do all of the driving to exercise their access, then the ex should have their address so they can either drop off or pick up the kid.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:05 PM

Stillbreathing is on a distinguished road

Actually, you are not obligated to tell her where your new address is. I went into hiding and didnít even tell my lawyer. The judges didnít care. As long as I had a cell phone number he could call to talk to the kids, that was fine ( he didnít call).
Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That's strong language. I don't think parents have a right to the address of the ex. They have the right to contact information, and as SB said, a cellphone more than suffices.

I do agree, however, that not providing an address makes you look unreasonable.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:59 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Parents have the right to the address of the children, that happens to also be the address of the other parent, it is what it is.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Not giving your residential address can lead to multiple complications, the worst being the ex denying parenting time on the basis that they do not have sufficient knowledge of the child's location
Unless the order states the access parent is to inform custodial parent of their resident, then they do not have such obligation and could be found in contempt of order if they denied access on that basis. If they have any concerns, they can contact children aid society or even request well being check by police. The access parent isn't a criminal that would live in a drug house with their child.

Quote:
or proper contact details in case of emergency.
Custodial parent can't just show up at access parents house for what the custodial parent would deem an emergency. In case of a real emergency, the access parent knows what to do, can call 911, and take child to hospital and inform custodial parent of hospital they are at. No need to wait at their house for custodial parent to drop by to dictate.

Quote:
Should the ex do that the judge would likely come down on both parents for being morons and fostering this gong show that is now in court.
Absolutely, but the access parent can't be found in contempt, the custodial parent can for denying access.

Quote:
Simply provide the address.
If you are comfortable with your crazy ex knowing where you live. I regret sharing in my case. Ex ended up showing at my house and caused a disturbance and trespassed during my parenting time.

Quote:
It is simple and there are absolutely ZERO reasons why it shouldn't be provided.
There is a reason, access parent isn't required to share that information. Only custodial parent is to inform access parent of their new address, and I believe typically within 60 days. This is a standard clause in the access parent's favour. Access parent can file for chance in custody if custodial parent moves far enough. Custodial parent can't do much.

Quote:
And unless the non-custodial parent wants to do all of the driving to exercise their access, then the ex should have their address so they can either drop off or pick up the kid.
I am sure you would agree that custodial parents demand access parent to do all driving, and it is rare for custodial to share drive. That is a good reason why custodial parent should share their address, so access parent knows where to pickup and/or drop off child.

I agree, if they share drives, then that is a reason to share your address.

In my case, I was told I had no obligation to tell ex where i live as access parent and as I do all of the driving. I did in anyway to put ex in good but, but unfortunately, I regret doing it, given the nuisance she made of her self attending at my house. I would highly recommend against giving your crazy custodial ex your address, unless you are mandated to do so by the courts, or if that is where they drop / pickup kids from.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
Parents have the right to the address of the children, that happens to also be the address of the other parent, it is what it is.
Could you provide some case law or provision confirming same ? Last time I spoke to a lawyer, access parent has no obligation to provide their address to custodial parent. Custodial parent has to however inform access parent of their location they intend to move to usually within 60 days. POW
Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 PM

Stillbreathing is on a distinguished road

It might depend largely on the circumstances. I am the custodial parent and neither my ex nor my lawyer have any idea where the children and I live. I have done this deliberately as I am in hiding from my ex. I have asked repeatedly for a restraining order which has been ignored. This is my way of protecting myself. Now in an interesting twist, all of the judges are ignoring my ex and his lawyerís rankings about needing to know my address. They donít care. He has my cell
number and knows what school the kids attend. He can serve me via my lawyer. If I ever go self rep I will get a post office box number he can have at it to send court documents to.
I think it really depends on your situation. I have no intention of ever giving him my address. Itís none of his business and he does not need it to exercise his access rights ( which he is not currently doing). My not revealing our address in no way negatively impacts his rights to his children should he wish to begin seeing them again.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillbreathing View Post
It might depend largely on the circumstances. I am the custodial parent and neither my ex nor my lawyer have any idea where the children and I live. I have done this deliberately as I am in hiding from my ex. I have asked repeatedly for a restraining order which has been ignored. This is my way of protecting myself. Now in an interesting twist, all of the judges are ignoring my ex and his lawyerís rankings about needing to know my address. They donít care. He has my cell
number and knows what school the kids attend. He can serve me via my lawyer. If I ever go self rep I will get a post office box number he can have at it to send court documents to.
I think it really depends on your situation. I have no intention of ever giving him my address. Itís none of his business and he does not need it to exercise his access rights ( which he is not currently doing). My not revealing our address in no way negatively impacts his rights to his children should he wish to begin seeing them again.

Unless your order states you must give your address, then not much ex can do. If ex really concerned, could ask CAS to inspect your place of living and child's home as you are refusing to share where child resides. Not sure if child's home address falls under right of access parent to inquire and be given information about child but suppose access parent could always file a motion. Worst to worst, ex could hire private investigator to follow you around and find out where you live - and you would never know.