Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2015, 11:01 PM

annapurna66 is on a distinguished road
Default Yahoo...its a win!...now ? about costs :)

Here is a note of optimism to the self-represented litigants on this site...you can do this...and come out on top! Decision came thru today from my trial....all in my favor! Yahoo....exes claims are dismissed. Judge has asked me to provide my cost submissions as self-represented litigant. Can anyone give some direction on this??
Old 06-15-2015, 11:55 PM

YoungDad23 is on a distinguished road

CanLII - 2015 ONSC 3684 (CanLII)

This is a link to Working Dad's latest judgement and includes a paragraph on a starting point for calculating self-represented litigants costs for his trial in 2011:

2011 COSTS ORDER - $11,500.00
[14] On December 16, 2011 I issued a 74 paragraph judgment awarding the Respondent costs in the sum of $11,500.00 inclusive of fees, disbursements and HST. Among the considerations:
a. I extensively reviewed the law as it relates to costs in favour of successful self-represented parties.
b. I concluded the Respondent had acted responsibly throughout the proceedings and he was entirely successful at trial.
c. I concluded that the Applicant took advantage of the fact that going to court didn’t cost her a penny. She conducted herself as if her legal aid certificate amounted to a blank cheque – with the result that a scheduled 3-4 day trial turned into 17 days largely because the Applicant fought every issue and pursued every dubious allegation to the bitter end.
d. I concluded the Respondent demonstrated extraordinary skill in representing himself at trial.
e. I considered the Applicant’s ability to pay (she was on Ontario Works then – just as she is currently on Ontario Works).
f. I concluded the Respondent was entitled to compensation for 200 hours of work at a rate of $100.00 per hour. I then reduced fees (but not disbursements) by 50% to take into account all of the other required factors under Rule 24, including the reasonable expectations of each party and an overall result which is fair.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:35 AM

Thats awesome...thanks YoungDad...much appreciated.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:19 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Congratulations annapurna66. You have been through quite an ordeal over many years. I look forward to hearing your summation of your experience in the weeks/months to come. You have gained a valuable level of experience as a self-represented individual. Your perspective on litigation process leading to trail will be helpful to many on this forum.

Great news!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:48 AM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Good for you Anna! You must be feeling very relieved and with good reason.
Now the fun part starts .... making sure that your divorce agreement is properly executed.

I've been divorced since March and find that the after-trial period can have it's difficulties with tying up loose-ends and making certain that the Ex respects all that has been signed.

Celebrate your victory but don't let your guard down just yet.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:40 PM

Headwaters1 is on a distinguished road

Yes yes. Do share....maybe a quick do's and don'ts for the intermediate players like us.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 PM

Thanks everyone...it's been a long ordeal that is sure. So much learnt just thru experience, and trial and error. This forum has been very helpful for getting information and unbiased (and sometimes biased!) opinion. It's somehow helpful to know you are not the only one being dragged through the bowels of Family court. It is a steep learning curve that is for sure!!