Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2015, 06:52 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Intentional depletion of matrimonial assets is an interesting topic. She would have to show malicious and or intentional actions on your part. Uphill slope for sure.

If the two of you were merely big spenders then that's water under the bridge. I would think that her lawyer would focus primarily on assets at and since separation.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 PM

Pursuinghappiness will become famous soon enough

Quote:
For the period in question both of us were gainfully employed. She is of the view that unless I can account for the money she'll charge me with fraud.
Tell her that you spent most of the money on hookers and blow...lol.

Seriously though...like others have said, its probably something you can ignore unless we're talking about very large sums of money spent on something unusual.

For instance, there have been cases where there has been unequitable distribution of equalization payments due to massive squandering of marital funds...ie, serious gambling addictions, serious drug addictions but that wouldn't apply to normal withdrawals made from a checking/savings account.

What is she trying to suggest you spent the money on?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:39 PM

Mike62 is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone.

My take is it's all about relevance to the issues in dispute. There aren't any. My approach will be to see the threat as a pressure tactic.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:08 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

Short of dispensing of marital assets there's little reason to spend much time or money examining the finances this way.

It's useful for the financial statement to be able to say that when you married your net worth was X, when you separated it was Y.

That's part of NFP.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 AM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike62 View Post
I separated in 2014 and am working with former spouse on a separation agreement. She is poring through bank statements going back ten years.

She is wasting her time and her lawyers by going back 10 years - this will not do her any good. All that matters now is your net worth at time of separation. Courts will use the average of the last 3 years at most.

She wants explanations for each withdrawal from an ATM. That's tough to do. I can account for some, but for most I can’t.

What she wants Vs what she has a legal right to expect of you are two separate matters .... I would simply ignore these demands.

For the period in question both of us were gainfully employed. She is of the view that unless I can account for the money she'll charge me with fraud.

This is obviously a pressure tactic to wear you down into to signing some lopsided agreement - charging someone with fraud is both expensive to prove and mostly unheard of in family court. Unless you two own some kind of business together? (Ask Arabian about how difficult fraud is to prove in court - and she had tons of serious evidence).

Do I need to defend/explain each withdrawal?

Absolutely not! this is a simple matter of intimidation. The onus is on her to prove any wrongdoing on your part (ATM withdrawals ? really lol) Ignore this BS and let her lawyer waste all of HER money on this ridiculous claim.

Your Ex is attempting to push you into a defensive mind-set, where you feel the need to explain your every action ... this is a fairly common tactic.
Legal wise, she is blowing smoke ...

Thank you.
You're welcome
Old 06-11-2015, 12:20 PM

Mike62 is on a distinguished road

You're right I was being worn down. And, it was a result of my choosing. Why? I bought into her story that I owed her. No longer do I think that thanks to the feedback provided.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:06 AM

Headwaters1 is on a distinguished road

In the words of Nancy Reagan ... "Just say No"