Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2015, 01:44 PM

Headwaters1 is on a distinguished road

North of 40... I hear you loud and clear.

Usually a promotion brings with it more responsibility (read stress) and less personal time. You weigh it against long term career advancement but if yiu are indeed "North of 40" like I am then screw it.

I am no slouch and rarely advise the easy road but while you have a jockey on your back taking a peice of every dollar earned why should you run FASTER when there is little to no incentive.

When I calculate my CS increases after tax...I only get 40 cents on the dollar. The government and my ex combined take the lions share.

I don't turn down every dollar but I sure weigh the pressures involved on a contract by contract basis.

Power be with the earners...you get to decide when it's worth earning or not. There is no over driving principle that says you MUST take on more when there is not a clear upside to you.

If your ex doesn't like it! They can always get the promotion themselves.

By the way the moaners would be the same people telling a high earner there are more valuable things in life...stop and smell the flowers...spend more time with the family. Agreed.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:50 PM

piggybanktoex is on a distinguished road

Yeah hear ya......ex was so afraid of my possible failing income due to her bulldozer approach to my income, business, and partners.

Never saw her even try to find employment......felt entitlement was the only career option she needed to choose.

Only real losers, me and our kids. She now rakes in more than than she ever would have earned on her working career path, and for longer.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:52 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

I've taken every job promotion I could. That said, I only pay c/s as my ex and I were never married and barely lived together (3-4 months before she got pregnant).

If the promotion provides a nominal increase in salary, I can see turning it down. Increased work responsibilities for minimal return after taxes/ss/cs would isn't really appealing. The promotion would really have to be close to 20% to consider it. The other point that may get me to take it would be if the initial increase was nominal, but the pay ceiling was substantially higher. C/S isn't forever, and most of the time neither is SS. To turn down a move now for a nominal increase, may shoot yourself in the foot in 10 years when the pay scales would be dramatically different and your c/s and s/s obligations may be NIL.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:05 AM

FightingForFamily will become famous soon enough

I understand the fear of imputation too. I never really cared about money anyways (that was my always my ex) and I feel very little enjoyment at getting any raises and promotions. Since I have the taxes on it, I think my ex wife actually gets a larger raise than I do whenever my salary goes up.

And if I should ever lose my job, or my salary decrease, I would be in huge trouble trying to make payments for a salary I no longer have. The law says CS goes up and down based on line 150 income, but in practice, it only ever goes up. If you try to lower your CS when your salary falls or you change jobs, your former salary will be imputed to you without much of a second thought. Try lowering your CS by even a dollar, and society tells you you are a dead beat dad and should suffer whatever the law can leverage against you.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:21 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

You have to look at all the benefits too. If its just the income change it may not be worth it but what if there are other things? My partner and I are both looking for work and while my skills are somewhat flexible, the job market for me in our current location sucks. He can find "work" but thats all it is--a pay cheque. No guarantees, no pension, no benefits etc. Hes also worried about the up and down and modifying now that hes with FRO and his ex refuses to work together to adjust easily. I encouraged him to apply for a few jobs outside our current location at a higher salary but they also offer security, a pension, benefits and vacation time. Sure it means his cs will go up and he would have to move but in the long run its beneficial to him because when hes done paying cs in 9 years he still would have the good income, 9 years of pension contributions and health/emotional benefits.

You have to weigh it all out. If saying no screws you for the future, thats not a benefit. Its almost like taking a shitty paying job to get experience in the beginning of your career. Sure its only $10 an hour but its also experience that you need for that $50000 job.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 AM

Well, why take a higher paying job if your success will only be held against you in the future. Once you're a support payor, you are a wage slave. Your freedom to choose your own career path, leave work to retrain, take time off for your family or your interests.. even some times even the choice about when or whether to retire are all taken away from you by the yolk around your neck from family law.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:24 PM

Well yeah. My ex didn't work at all until her SS ended. Now she runs a home daycare to avoid paying daycare, even though she could triple her earnings if she had ever pursued her career.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:19 AM

patientlyexhausted is on a distinguished road

I agree with your decision to avoid a promotion leading to an inflated gross income. I would do the same thing. And let's all remember both parents have an obligation to support their children. Not just you. At the end of the day work/life balance is the key. Family first! It would be nice to see a day when CS/SS is based on net pay.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:22 AM

North of 40 is on a distinguished road

That would make sense .....BUT...... it's family law.

In most cases that I have heard or read about, logic /self sufficiency doesn't seem to come into play.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Canadaguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links17 View Post
The difference if he loses the job family law will impute him the increased salary.
Really? That sounds more like a feeling then actuality. I can't believe that if I get fired from my job and can't pay CS because of it because nobody will employ me that I would still have to pay CS. Would love to see a court case that forces a dad (or mom for that matter) to still pay CS when they have no income.