Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 AM

LyndaLou is on a distinguished road
Default What..Info..Can..I..Ask..For?

Only a few months after we separated, my husband and his married girlfriend got his name on title to her house. That house was refinanced and her husband was paid out of the equity. My husband now holds the mortgage with her. I have asked to see the full reporting letter which has not yet been produced. My lawyer will not help at all so I need to ask if this is information to which I am entitled to ask for? My husband sent me three emails a month after separation asking me to sign a form saying he was not paying me any support. This form was for the bank so he could be approved for this refinancing . I did not sign and I asked him how he got approved without my consent which he refuses to give a straight answer to. I just want to know my rights on this matter. We have already had two case conferences. Thankyou for any advice.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Well with freedom of information and all that I am sure you cannot. But you can inform the bank that your ex is liable for child support and you did not sign off anything, so you want to be sure he did not misrepresent your signature in anyway. That might mean they question his completed forms and might prove he has committed fraud. But honestly why do you care? Is he paying child support? I can understand it is frustrating how he managed to arrange all this with his new girlfriend but from reading many other posters frustrations with ex's new fling I believe you are just giving yourself grief.

Tuck this piece of information away, in case you need it later on to prove anything important, such as non payment of CS and then you can bring it up. But at this time let it go and move on and forget what he is up to. He is not worth your time.

Last edited by Beachnana; 04-19-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 AM

We..Don't..hae..kids..together...I..am..going..for ..SS..plus...he..is..hiding..assets.
He..should..hae..easy..access..to..Reporting..Lett er.I..think..he..might..hae..forged..my..signature ..to..qualify..and..he..also..holds..the..mortgage ..to..our..marital..home.Hard..to..explain..eeryth ing..on..here..:-)
Old 04-19-2014, 10:58 AM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Ok, makes sense now. Yes, its always hard to put the whole story down. I would think you can contact the bank and ask if they received a document with your signature on and inform them that you did not sign any letter. As loNg as you do not request any details regarding their mortgage and their personal information they should be able to verify if they have on record a document with ,your signature on.

Then I guess you have one piece of evidence to use.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:04 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

I think you could contact the bank as Beachnana suggests, but I don't think they're obligated to give you information as you aren't a party to to your ex's mortgage. Nonetheless, a letter to the bank saying "by the way, I as the wife have not waived any claim to spousal support" couldn't hurt.

It does seem odd that they would approve him for a new mortgage on his GF's home when he already has a mortgage on the marital home and as-yet-undetermined financial obligations from his marriage, but ultimately that's the bank's problem, not yours. I know when I bought my condo, I showed the banks SA in which ex and I agreed not to seek SS from each other.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:17 PM

Thankyou..I..will..ask...My..friend..works...with. ..mortgages..and..she..says...he..would..need..spo usal..consent..from..me.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:55 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

What exactly are you worried about and why do you care? I don't mean to be rude but if he misrepresented wrong information to the bank that is his issue if he can't afford his mortgage if he has to pay SS. You have no entitlement to his new house because he bought it after separation.

I don't know that he actually requires your consent. My partner and I bought a house and they did not require any information from his ex and they are not officially divorced yet.

The bank will not provide you any information unless your name is on the documents which is probably why your lawyer refuses to help you.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:57 PM

I..take..forging..my...signature....seriously.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:59 PM

My...Lawyer..did..not..look..at..his..financial..s tatements..either.I..hae..to..do..it..all..myself,
unfortunately.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:01 PM

Does..your..partner...hold..a..mortgage..on..marit al..home?