Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2015, 12:56 PM

Busch is on a distinguished road
Default What is the difference?

Good Day,

Hope everyone had a Happy Holiday

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between a "Lawyer" and "Agent"?
I have instructions on the MCT my ex filed stating "Please note that I act as Agent only for Mr. Ex in the above noted matter. Please ensure that my name does not appear on any court documents that you will serve and file in court. However, please note that I will be accepting all correspondence and communication on this file on behalf of Mr. Ex, as well as service of all documents."

What's the difference?
Old 12-29-2015, 01:30 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

In my line of work, an Agent is just someone acting on behalf of someone else. A middle agent, basically, someone in between to provide a level of separation between the two people involved. This could be done for many reasons; most common for me is to provide a level of privacy for one of the parties, so the other one doesn't know their address, etc.

Much as with any situation, this person cannot be called a lawyer, if that's not what they actually are. Or if they are a lawyer, I guess they're not acting in the capacity of a lawyer, not providing legal advice, etc. Sounds like this person is just passing on correspondence, nothing more, and wants that clear to a judge by asking that their name not appear in a spot reserved for actual legal representation.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 PM

Busch is on a distinguished road

Thanks Rioe,

That makes sense. My Ex lives in the USA so maybe this person is acting as an Agent for serving and filing purposes, as I know they are a Lawyer? She does go to the court appearances, as my EX isn't there.
I am asking because we have a settlement conference coming, I am self representing and I am nervous about my skills in front of an actual Lawyer. My document wording my not be the greatest, and I want to calm my nerves that I am doing ok.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:09 AM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between a "Lawyer" and "Agent"?
The difference is with respect to the court process.

A lawyer is the person's representative if they are on record. If they are not on record then they cannot be served with documents nor are they required to attend court (or to get off record). They can show up as a friend of the court, but remain off record.

Why do this?
Usually, this is done if the lawyer is retained on a limited basis - for example, to prepare the documents, or only to attend the case conference. It also happens when there are concerns that the client may run out of money or suddenly fall off the earth (drugs, low income, fleeing creditors, etc).
Old 01-05-2016, 12:54 PM

LovingFather32 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe another term for it is "friend of the court".