Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

If you use a travel site like Expedia, you can create and save an itinerary which has all the details of the trip (which flights, exactly what dates, which hotels, how much it costs, etc) without having to actually purchase the tickets. That would provide all the information that he needs to know, and additional information besides.

Send him an Expedia itinerary. There is no reason he needs proof of purchase.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice wong View Post
In response I received 2 conditions I must meet before the travel consent signed. We must agree on make-up access time
I would almost be shocked if that was not a condition for anybody providing consent. That said, why not travel during your time with the children? No need to cause a ruckus.

Quote:
and I must first purchase tickets, provide the full detailed itinerary and then the consent maybe be signed.
Buying tickets before consent is given is obviously silly. Believe it or not though, my ex tried that stunt once as well. So, this is not the first time I have heard of this.

Seems like you are itching to go to court anyway based on your other threads. A clever ruse might be to bait him: buy a ticket to something that he would disapprove of and then refuse consent. Then, while you are at court, hit him for unreasonably not giving consent. Make him pay for the tickets, and make him pay for the lawyer time used to make him pay for the ticket. He won't pull that stunt again.

(Sadly, stripes has the right idea, but that way is so much less fun)
Old 03-02-2017, 05:58 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

here is what I would do

1.plan your travel buy your tickets and also buy insurance incase you have to cancel.
2. send him everything. flight # date time hotel, etc. in travel consent. there is a sample one on Canads government website.
3. if he withholds the consent at that point then he is being unreasonable and you file a contempt motion and sue him for damages.

I dont think he can withhold travel consent because you're not giving him makeup time. thats no reason to not allow the children to travrl, unless that's part of your agreement. but keep in mind that it would look good on you and help you if you did. otherwise I think you could just tell him you can discuss makeup access when you return. but it is best to plan your travel during your time. I think this is a bit of a grey area. I would offer makeup time if you're taking the child out during his time. but that is not something that goes in a travel consent.

i would take the safe approach just in case. you never know what type of judge you'll get.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by trinton; 03-02-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:12 PM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

Ideally, you travel within your own parenting time. Therefore makeup time is not an issue. Or at least, it is MOSTLY within your own parenting time, so makeup time is not so hard to arrange.

Sequence:
1) Get agreement in email to travel dates and destinations and exchange times e.g. flying March 4 to Orlando FLA (with exchange 7pm March 3 at Timmies), return flight arriving March 17 (with exchange 7pm March 17 at Timmies). Staying at Paradise Hotel. Contact #555-555-5555.
2) Book tickets/hotel
3) Send travel consent form with all details filled in, for your ex to sign and get notarized (my sister was refused boarding by an airline because her ex didn't notarize the consent form)
4) if your ex refuses to provide consent and/or child's passport, file an emergency motion, with your email as proof of unreasonableness (been there done that)
Old 03-02-2017, 06:15 PM

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkyface View Post
Ideally, you travel within your own parenting time. Therefore makeup time is not an issue. Or at least, it is MOSTLY within your own parenting time, so makeup time is not so hard to arrange.

Sequence:
1) Get agreement in email to travel dates and destinations and exchange times e.g. flying March 4 to Orlando FLA (with exchange 7pm March 3 at Timmies), return flight arriving March 17 (with exchange 7pm March 17 at Timmies). Staying at Paradise Hotel. Contact #555-555-5555.
2) Book tickets
3) Send travel consent form with all details filled in, for your ex to sign and get notarized (my sister was refused boarding by an airline because her ex didn't notarize the consent form)
4) if your ex refuses to provide consent and/or child's passport, file an emergency motion, with your email as proof of unreasonabless (been there done that)
i been in that situation as well.

to add to that, they didn't ask me for travel consents at airport. just the childs passport. it is possible to travel without passport or travel consent and only birth certificate as long as your not leaving canada/us. if that is what you have to do we can share details. but if your court order requires consents and they find out, you're sol. he may even file motion to find you in contempt.

in emergency motion you ask for police assistance to get you birth certificate and passport. you also request that his consent to travel is waved. if they can't get the passport and birth certificate then you ask for an order that you can apply for those without her consent (passport and birth certificate). you can order the birth certificate online and get passport same day expedited.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by trinton; 03-02-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:32 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Most travel agents can issue itineraries with full details, but hold off on the actual booking until payment is processed. So book your travel through an agent and have them send you the itinerary. Then process payment after you receive the consent forms signed.

Remember this will go both ways. Maybe you should remind your other parent should they think of pulling a fast one and refusing to sign.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:13 PM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Current court order states that if I wish to travel outside of Canada for more than 2 week I must seek the other party's travel consent which should not be unreasonable withheld. There is no make-up access time provision if party is travelling.
If you are travelling for ONE DAY leaving the country, you still need to obtained a consent letter from the other parent.

Unfortunately it seems your court order is confusing
1) consent to interrupt the other parent's time with your child
2) consent to leave the country (which may need to be shown to border control)

And it is confusing
1) getting consent
2) getting a consent letter

Was this prepared by lawyers???? Not that it's useful now...
Old 03-06-2017, 03:59 PM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Which i don't mind doing , of course. The question is is the chicken born before the egg or the egg before the chicken.

I am scared to buy tickets and not get consent to travel. He wants my itinerary first and then consent.
There is no chicken/egg issue here. There is no itinerary yet as plans have not been settled and tickets have not been purchased. The purchase of the vacation would always precede the request for consent. Part of the "detailed itinerary" would include flight numbers, departure dates/times, arrival times etc., all information that wouldn't be available prior to purchasing the tickets. Also, depending on what you are doing (ie. vacation resort vs. visiting family) your hotel accommodation wouldn't be determined prior to the purchase.

I'm doing a letter for my ex this week. She has provided me with all the details so I can prepare the letter.

IMO, you cannot ask for consent when the details are not finalized. What you can say is "I am booking a vacation from X-Y, likely going to Z. I will get you the details once booked so you can provide the consent letter." That gives the ex the heads up and nothing more. Should they have concerns, it gives them a chance to voice them.

Book the trip. Give the details. Request the letter. Should the ex fight it, you could seek an emergency order requiring them to consent or possibly removing the need for their consent entirely.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:06 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

The point of requiring travel consent is so that the parent not traveling knows where the kids are going to be. This can be accomplished by an itinerary even before paying for the trip. There's no reason why the other parent needs to see that it has been paid for. Yes, the traveling parent could change her plans after getting the consent and take the kids somewhere completely different, but even if she had paid for the itinerary she could switch dates, pay change fees, etc and take the kids somewhere completely different.

I wouldn't pay for a trip unless I had ex's travel consent first. To pay and then wait around for his consent gives him too much power.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDad View Post
There is no chicken/egg issue here. There is no itinerary yet as plans have not been settled and tickets have not been purchased. The purchase of the vacation would always precede the request for consent. Part of the "detailed itinerary" would include flight numbers, departure dates/times, arrival times etc., all information that wouldn't be available prior to purchasing the tickets. Also, depending on what you are doing (ie. vacation resort vs. visiting family) your hotel accommodation wouldn't be determined prior to the purchase.

I'm doing a letter for my ex this week. She has provided me with all the details so I can prepare the letter.

IMO, you cannot ask for consent when the details are not finalized. What you can say is "I am booking a vacation from X-Y, likely going to Z. I will get you the details once booked so you can provide the consent letter." That gives the ex the heads up and nothing more. Should they have concerns, it gives them a chance to voice them.

Book the trip. Give the details. Request the letter. Should the ex fight it, you could seek an emergency order requiring them to consent or possibly removing the need for their consent entirely.
if the trip planned does not take any of the other parents time away then You will will have no issues. You plan your trip, buy your tickets and send the details along with the consent form for the other parent to sign.

Your order states that consent should not be unreasonably withheld and it is entirely reasonable if it does not encroach on the other parents parenting time.

The issue comes when your planned trip encroaches on the other parents parenting time.

It seems that you want to take advantage of the lack of a makeup clause in your agreement and book a trip which will impact on the other parents time. So, as you have given the parent a heads up on the plan they have objected and suggested that it would be reasonable to have make up time established and possibly wants to see the tickets so it is a definite timeline and you will not stay longer and further encroached on their time.

I think that would be a reasonable reason for the other parent not to sign.

So you have a choice. Be reasonable and agree on makeup time or chance a judge will find your case more reasonable than the other parents!

Tags
travel consent