Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2014, 04:17 PM

DAHP_01_05_12 is on a distinguished road
Default tips/suggestions for self rep at SC

I have a SC in a few weeks and representing myself. Ex has a lawyer.

Im looking for any tips, suggestions....anything to help me through this process!

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:23 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHP_01_05_12 View Post
I have a SC in a few weeks and representing myself. Ex has a lawyer.

Im looking for any tips, suggestions....anything to help me through this process!

Thanks!
Be reasonable.
Try and come to a mutually agreeable settlement.
Don't be bullied
Be polite and courteous...Pretend you are talking to your bosses boss.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:32 PM

Northern Phoenix is on a distinguished road

What kind of proceeding? Motion court? Settlement hearing?
I am self representing as well. I have attended for all of it and I have won my motions so far against a 26 yr member of the bar.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Northern Phoenix is on a distinguished road

OCJFamilyGuide for Self-Represented Litigants in Family Court TrialsOntario Court of Justice

Go early and find the lawyer on call. This person will quickly review what you are presenting and give you last minute pointers. This person helped me immensely and gave the final nails for the the ex's lawyer's case.

Dress up. Don't interupt anyone most especially a Superior Court Judge. The Judge is legally bound to help you out with out guiding you because you are self represented. Let him talk. Judges love that. Take notes ....on what you will need to address on in accurate things and go over that when it is your turn. Be honest and factual. Try to keep your emotions out of it. Be prepared and make sure you are organized with your materials. If you are self representing you cannot use your inexperience as a reason to not know what you are supposed to be doing.
Be prepared to not be "liked". Superior Courts are not fond of self represented litigants at all. I was treated well by one judge who appreciated my extreme level or preparedness and organizational presentation. I was yelled at, papers thrown at me and bullied by another judge who was not happy with anything I said or did. I kept my head about me, I did not yell or express my thoughts (I wanted to though) and I WON!!!!
Being self represented is hard. You have to dig deep and work hard but here's the thing. YOU CAN DO IT.
Read case law...that is your biggest resource because all judges are bound to agree with most existing case law and you can quote it and use it to your advantage if you know what it signifies.
Here is a website that lists the common cases Judges rely upon making their decisions.

List of Cases | Superior Court of Justice

Go to CanLII ....look up cases your ex's lawyer has presented in court.
You can see how your opponent works in court. I have found that most lawyers use the same motions over and over as they are more financially rewarded with little work by using their own premade methods in court.
My ex's lawyer put forward motions for other clients that were exactly the same as what she was trying to do to me. Not only did she know she was going to be unsuccessful in court (but successful in billing my ex big time for a loss she knew was coming) the pre exsisting case law of her own gave me the weapons to successfully defeat her at trial. All this information on your ex's lawyer is on CanLII.

Be prepared....the entire legal system was made by lawyers for lawyers.....but there are most definitely room for us. Be smart, be prepared and be organized.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM

DAHP_01_05_12 is on a distinguished road

Settlement Conference