Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM

BMD is on a distinguished road
Angry

I find our legal system is really hard on men. My husbands support payments were and are still based on the highest salary he ever had. In the last few years he has been paying most of his income on support for 2 children and an ex wife who worked all the time they were married. She quit just before separating. Recently, my husband was served notice that he owed several thousand dollars back payments because of cost of living increases that he was not informed of until the day he was told he was in arrears. He tried to get support changed to reflect what he is now able to make but was told "Too bad, you should be earning that kind of money" His ex has her own business and likely does not declare all she earns. There seems to be no one to talk to that understands how it is for men. If my husband was still single he would not be able to afford even to eat let alone pay for accommodations and yet he has 7 years post secondary education.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:47 AM

FPI is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all the information, This site is great for that. My wife has not worked since the years 2000 when my soon was born, she went on maternity leave and never returned back too work even though I asked her to severel times. I guess she had planned to leave me for a while and new she could collect spousal support if she remained off work.
My question is she left me back on March 15,2005. She has made no attempt to find a job, we will be attending our first case conference this February, Will the judge want to no why she's made no attempt to find a job and make some type of order or give some type of time limit. I have two kids both in school, my youngest is in senior Kidergarden. He only goes half days. The school provides after school daycare.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:59 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

A Judge would normally take into consideration the amount of time your wife has been out of the workforce, her education and the prospects of her gaining employment. Often they will grant spousal support for a limited time period. i.e. Time for your ex to upgrade skills, or up until your youngest starts school full-time. Also your means and ability to pay will come into factor.
Closed Thread