Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2017, 07:16 PM

truetoyourself is on a distinguished road
Default Sole custody - Education

If a parent has sole custody and the child is not doing well at all in school because the other parent is not doing any homework on the week with them, does the sole custody parent have the right, without a lawyer to revert back to the previous access?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 PM

paris is on a distinguished road

Is the access through a court order?

Are you saying the other parent isn't doing homework with the child during that one week of the school year that he has access with the child?

I read your previous posts. In May you were completing an agreement where Dad would see the child for 3 weeks per year. Has that changed?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:27 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

I'm almost hesitant to answer your question, because surely you recognize that homework alone does not govern "doing well at all in school".

Exactly what is happening with the kidlet that is causing you concern?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

If there is a court order or agreement that provides access, then you cannot unilaterally change that because your parenting style is different.

If there is no court order or agreement that provides access, then you can change access because you heard a song that you didn't like on the radio or any other reason or no reason at all.

Side point: Homework rarely correlates well with school success. If you have the vast majority of parenting time and kid is not doing well (and you feel the need to assign fault) it is more likely to be your fault.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:59 AM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
does the sole custody parent have the right, without a lawyer to revert back to the previous access?
No. Access is not a custodial decision. If there is an Order setting out the access schedule then that is to be followed until a new Order is made. It should not be breached unless there are very good grounds to do so (grounds that would necessitate a CAS call).
Old 10-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

The "previous access" is confusing. What was previous access and how long ago did it change to week about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 02:51 PM

paris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
The "previous access" is confusing. What was previous access and how long ago did it change to week about?

She didn't say week about. She said on the week with them. According to the posts from just a few months ago Dad would have kid for 2 weeks in the summer and 1 week at Christmas. There is several hours travel between the parents.

I have asked if that's changed.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris View Post
She didn't say week about. She said on the week with them. According to the posts from just a few months ago Dad would have kid for 2 weeks in the summer and 1 week at Christmas. There is several hours travel between the parents.

I have asked if that's changed.

Well if dad only has them in the summer and a week at Christmas how is homework an issue? So obviously the schedule has changed if homework is now an issue

Old 10-10-2017, 05:07 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Going back through your other posts there are some issues I see.

1. Dad must be flying in to see kid on a different schedule. In this case, homework may not always be done and you could work with the school on this as kid only sees dad on limited time.

2. You moved away from dad and he agreed to a specific schedule to allow you to move. Refusing more time with him isnt really fair.

3. Like the others said, homework isnt always a true impact on school performance which should be investigated by you before cutting off access.

Bottom line, this is a flimsy excuse for adjusting access. Its only month two of school and as the sole custody parent you should be speaking with the school to see what is going on. I can't see a week with dad as causing serious issues at school unless kid was away all week, wasnt paying attention in class or was acting out at school. Even then that is more a behaviour issue that doesnt necessarily warrant cutting off access to their parent that they were forced to move away from.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Banned

trinton has a little shameless behaviour in the past

No you can't change access. My ex tried to reduce out of court expanded access and we threatend motion to maintain status quo.

Not doing homework won't cause them to do bad in school. You also can't assume time with dad is homework time. Child will soon enough lose interest in visiting his dad because visiting dad will equal to doing homeework.