Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2005, 10:29 AM

hubby will become famous soon enough
Default Shared expenses after divorce?

What are some typical shared expenses regarding children that both parents can expect to share after a divorce?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:08 AM

Lindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura aboutLindsay has a spectacular aura about

Hi hubby,

In addition to child support, you and your spouse would normally need to share your child(ren)'s special or extraordinary expenses. These include expenses such as day care, medical expenses, private school and post-secondary educational expenses. You and your spouse would most likely share these expenses in proportion with your incomes. Normally, day-to-day expenses like food, school activity expenses and anything under $100.00 are not considered special or extraordinary.

Lindsay

Last edited by Lindsay; 12-02-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:00 PM

littleman is on a distinguished road
Default shared expenses

dont banked on everything being split down the middle.....if you are primary caregavier with primary custody you will have a fight on your hands getting the ex to pay half......the ex usually believes that a childs requirements should be covered under the lousy amount that is given for support......which btw wont even feed one child for a month........I have been divorced for years and still constant battle for him to pay his share for raising our son........somedays wish he would fall off face of earth so I wouldnt have to deal with it anymore
Good Luck hopefully you can get better results
Old 11-30-2005, 06:07 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Child support is based on a tabled amount. The amount for calculation purposes is line 150 of the payor's income tax and compared to the tables to calculate the amount of payable child support.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:08 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

I'm with you on this one. Sometimes I feel it's not emotionally worth it to fight. And too expensive to use the court system, (lawyer fees).

My ex feels that because of our financial situation due to our seperation that the children should be pulled out of all activities that cost $$$. Meanwhile, he's driving around in a brand new sports car.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:41 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about

Just an opinion....

Extra ordinary expenses section 9 otherwise known.

I think a child should be able to participate in the activities if the expenses are reasonable; music lessons, hockey, gymnastics, soccer, baseball summer camp cub scouts, girl guides etc, the list is endless. These expenses should be shared on prorated basis.

The other item that often gets forgotten is the cost of access travel. If access is the child's right then the cost for travelling should also be shared in the same capacity between the parent's but often it is not.

A lot of people don't realize that it also costs the non-custodial parent to have the child for a weekend such as extra food and activities. These expense's can't be ignored also but there is nothing in child support laws to acknowledge these costs and can add up over the year.

Some custodial parent's never send any clothing with the child for the visit and the non-custodial parent has to also pay and provide for clothing while the child is in their care.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:53 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

I call them section 7 expenses. (Not 9, I think we are talking about the same thing).

Your right about the transportation cost, especially with the resent price of gas!!! I have that down in my Financial Statement as "Children's transportation costs".
Old 12-01-2005, 12:40 AM

ladyluck is on a distinguished road

I believe shared expenses applies to virtually anything and everything

Travel costs
Schooling
Sports
Clothing
Food
Car/Gas

Im sure I have missed alot though..
Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 AM

Grace,

You are right. It is section 7 expenses. Section 9 is shared custody and 40% threshold in calculating child support.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:08 AM

hubby will become famous soon enough
Default Section 7 expenses ...

Does this mean we are each entitled or obligated to help pay for food/car/gas in seperate dwellings?

Hubby
Closed Thread