Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014, 12:49 PM

chapter2 is on a distinguished road
Default Self Representing - Settlement Conference#2

So far I have the 14-C for confirmation date and 17-C, settlement conference brief done. I also have a tabbed index of all issues to be dealt with. Has anyone done this part on their own before?

I am self representing and date was confirmed by my old lawyer. It was orginally going to be a TMC (Trial Management Conference), but old lawyer requested another settlement conference.

Just need to know what forms I need to fax in before July 2.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter2 View Post
So far I have the 14-C for confirmation date and 17-C, settlement conference brief done. I also have a tabbed index of all issues to be dealt with. Has anyone done this part on their own before?

I am self representing and date was confirmed by my old lawyer. It was orginally going to be a TMC (Trial Management Conference), but old lawyer requested another settlement conference.

Just need to know what forms I need to fax in before July 2.
You should go to the court house and ask Duty Counsel for assistance or if there is a FLIC office inquire with them. They should be able to assist you with the procedural questions.

Reason I recommend seeking proper advice is that no one on here is a lawyer and if you get advice, it may not be correct. It is a "best guess" really. Don't rely upon this site as "legal advice" as it is NOT.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:03 PM

Headwaters1 is on a distinguished road

Why would a second settlement conference be booked? Tayken, any experience on the scenarios where additional sc's get booked?

I am curious because I would rather not go to trial and curious about if/when a second sc is required...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2014, 10:38 PM

Dadx5 is on a distinguished road

Not sure about why there is a second SC in your case but in my last motion to change case we had two settlement conferences. During the first one we ended up meeting with a mediator and settled a few issues, there was belief that we could settle more so they booked a second and we ended up settling the rest of our issues. For us the reason they booked the second was that the chance of settling instead of going to trial was great that they wanted to give us a try.

Not really sure about the procedural stuff but good luck.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 PM

The reason for a second SC was because my first lawyer was closing up shop..she was moving to BC, so the second lawyer asked for the TMC be changed to a SC and the applicant accepted.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:02 AM

sahibjee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwaters1 View Post
Why would a second settlement conference be booked? Tayken, any experience on the scenarios where additional sc's get booked?

I am curious because I would rather not go to trial and curious about if/when a second sc is required...

In my case we had three settlement conferences and a 4th scheduled before the ex got up and left. i asked for trial management on each but the judge would simply say "lets come back for another conference" in total we had
CC - Motion - CC - Motion - SC - SC - SC - Motion (other party had already left) - Motion (but judge issued verdict as summary judgement)

I cant find the case on canlii though
Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Wow..don't know your whole story, but that is just such a waste, in my eyes. I provided a separation agreement to my ex two years ago. His response "I will go to jail before I pay you that much", after thousands of dollars wasted on lawyers, he is paying more than what I asked - child support and daycare fees.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 PM

blinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura aboutblinkandimgone has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux View Post
Ugh...I thought Orleans Lawyer and Jeff were Lawyers????
They may well be, however they are not operating here in the capacity of lawyers and therefore, are not dispensing official legal advice.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:56 PM

MS Mom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwaters1 View Post

I had three settlement conferences before the judge decided to move towards trial.

I think if it can and should be settled, the more settlement conferences there are to get that done.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Headwaters1 is on a distinguished road

I agree I am in no rush to go to trial. We have an urgent decision about residency to determine but that might be dealt with as an interim motion. So I am a bit encouraged by these mini steps and that they are possible. In my case I was only seeking 50/50 against an emotionally charged set of silly allegations. I think over time she will just run out of venom. Hope beyond hope.